outboard water pump

mcdougy

Last season when I was putting my 2stroke 15hp yamaha to bed for the season, I noticed the water pump wasn't pumping any water while in my water barrel. I took it apart and the impellar had disintegrated into many peices including many small pieces. So i had a new impellar and changed it myself with little problem.It seemed fairly easy, ran it for maybe 3 minutes, pumped water like a champ, put her away to her nice warm bed..... Today i brought her out of the furnace room and I am planning to fire her up for the first time this yearin the barrel. Here's my question.... Where did all those pieces go that i Didn't find? Should I be looking at cleaning somewhere to get them out? Am i overthinking it, and all is fine. This thing ran perfect last year and I do not want to do any damage/further damage since changing the impellar.

Cheers and Thanks

Matt

Well, if its pumping water good, it should spit any of those bits out.

Just hope you cleaned. As much out as you could before installing new impellor, because if any bits are in there it could lead to trouble down the road.

S.

Well that s what i am hoping also.

Time will tell. If it's a late model and thermostatically controlled you may still encounter problems.

You may find your answer to: " Where did all those pieces go that i Didn't find?"

Hope not! Just a heads up.

Run it in the barrel for a while and see if all is good.

My 25 Yamaha plugged up at the thermostat after a new impeller was installed.

Edited by kwikfish

Ran it. The water stream was perfect. lots of pressure ,shooting a long ways from the engine. I have actually never noticed a motor that spits such a good stream.The engine ran perfect. Kwikfish thanks for the heads up. I will take the thermostat out and check that area. I cant remember if I checked there when i changed the impellar or not? Its a easy place to check, as i had changed ithe thermostat the previous year when I bought the motor. Never changed the impellar #@###$. bought the part, but never changed it. Lesson learned!!

Took the thermostat out. Did not find anything unusual in that area. I guess I will keep my fingers crossed and hope any remnants got blown out the discharge pipe!! But if there's anything else you guys think I should check PLEASE let me know!!! Cheers Matt

While your running the motor keep reaming out the overflow with a good stiff piece of weed trimmer line in case there may be bits of the old water pump in the pisser line.

Excellent advice, I always keep a piece of trimmer line in my tool box to clean the pee hole out if it gets plugged up with weeds and such.

Took the thermostat out. Did not find anything unusual in that area. I guess I will keep my fingers crossed and hope any remnants got blown out the discharge pipe!! But if there's anything else you guys think I should check PLEASE let me know!!! Cheers Matt

If th thermostat is clear and you have a good stream all should be good.

Happy motoring and good fishing too!