Storage laws

Just wondering if anyone has gone over the regs recently about the storage? There is a page that pertains to transport, but I don't see one that lists out specifically for storage. I thought there used to be a section on that.

This is all about transport there is no mention of the laws about storage at your residence....

It is contrary to the

Ontario Fishery Regulations to stock or transport live sport fish without a permit.

Anglers need to ensure they are transporting fish in compliance with the regulations, which are designed to protect fisheries resources. The fish that you catch and keep may be cleaned. However, please remember that

fish taken from waterbodies where size limits are in effect must be readily measurable at all times, unless the fish are:

• Being prepared for immediate consumption

• Prepared at an overnight accommodation for storage

• Being transported on the water from a temporary overnight accommodation to your residence and you are not engaged in sport fishing

• Being transported overland.

Do not transport live fish overland in a livewell filled with water. Fish must be dead and should be transported on ice.

In addition, when packaging fish you must ensure that a conservation officer can easily determine:

• The number of fish in your possession

• The species of fish in your possession. This may require leaving a large patch of skin, the head, or some other identifying feature depending on the species of fish (e.g. lake whitefish vs. lake herring).

• The species of fish in your possession. This may require leaving a large patch of skin, the head, or some other identifying feature depending on the species of fish (e.g. lake whitefish vs. lake herring).

the fish must still be able to be identified and counted,its the same at a fishing lodge if you freeze them,and same law applies at your residence

right thats my understanding and thats how I have always done it, jut seems odd that they don't say while in storage it must be....

I never noticed this part before either

The fish that you catch and keep may be cleaned. However, please remember that

fish taken from waterbodies where size limits are in effect must be readily measurable at all times, unless the fish are: Being transported overland.

So as I understand it, here is an example....

Fishing for walleye on a slot lake, and you catch one. You can gut it but it must remain in tact nose to tail until you hit land, at that point you are going to be driving to your house so you can then fillet it leaving a patch of skin...

Is that right?