Dobyns Rods

TheMaverick

I just added another one to my arsenal.

Here is my current list.

Dobyns Champion 734C full handle - Spinnebaits and buzzbaits. Awesome rod and my first casting and Dibyns rod all in one!!!

Dobyns Champion 702SF - Tubes and drop shotting duty

Dobyns Savvy 735SC - Frogs, Frogs, and more Frogs. - Great rod with a lot of backbone. It can throw a frog pretty damn far while still looking good

Dobyns Champion Extreme 735C FH - This is my new aquisition that beat out the new Megabass rods I was looking atlast night. It will be used for Pitchin mostly but a carolina rig may makes it presence know on the business end of this stick.

IMO, They balance well, look awesome and give me confidence. I do use other brands, but this is my mainstay. Looking forward to seeing how much more sensitive the DX is compared to the Champion.

I just added another one to my arsenal.

Here is my current list.

Dobyns Champion 734C full handle - Spinnebaits and buzzbaits. Awesome rod and my first casting and Dibyns rod all in one!!!

Dobyns Champion 702SF - Tubes and drop shotting duty

Dobyns Savvy 735SC - Frogs, Frogs, and more Frogs. - Great rod with a lot of backbone. It can throw a frog pretty damn far while still looking good

Dobyns Champion Extreme 735C FH - This is my new aquisition that beat out the new Megabass rods I was looking atlast night. It will be used for Pitchin mostly but a carolina rig may makes it presence know on the business end of this stick.

IMO, They balance well, look awesome and give me confidence. I do use other brands, but this is my mainstay. Looking forward to seeing how much more sensitive the DX is compared to the Champion.

Musky_Hunter,

Myself and Lape buy from the same local store, I've heard from a few guys now that the X4 don't balance as well as the XX line up.

I'll give the XX a fair chance (purchasing a Flat Side Special) but my Dobyns will be hard to top!

Musky_Hunter,

Myself and Lape buy from the same local store, I've heard from a few guys now that the X4 don't balance as well as the XX line up.

I'll give the XX a fair chance (purchasing a Flat Side Special) but my Dobyns will be hard to top!

I have not felt or used the entire x4 lineup but judging the oneten stick and black elseil the xx rods are more balanced. The x4 are lighter rods though. I also prefer the cork grips like my dobyns and simax rods.

I will be getting the 6'8" jerkbait special. The 7' flat side special was considered but fishing from the back of the boat often the shorter rod would be preferred. It will double as my squarebill rod. For cranks I use a 765cb glass and 733c for lipless and spinnerbaits.

I potentially will buy the 7'5" and 7'9" rods.

Edited by musky_hunter

Savvy 705

Champion 734

Champion 736

Deciding between 804CB or 805CB RM

Drop

Hey Drop,

What is your intended use for the 804CB or 805CB RM?

Both rods excel for deep diving cranks.

I have the 805CB RM and use it for deep diving cranks.

I also throw wake baits and heavy shallow cranks.

The 765CB Glass shines with baits 3/8oz +. The longer rod allows you to cast cranks a mile. It has a nice parabolic bend but a strong backbone, hard to find in most cranking sticks. This rod shines with a fish on, I landed a 45" muskie no problem. Paired with a 7-8oz reel and it balances perfectly, amazingly light feeling. In my mind Dobyns makes one of the best cranking rods.

I haven't tried it for spinnerbaits but i've read it's also very good.

I've never used a powell rod, sorry.

Hey Drop,

What is your intended use for the 804CB or 805CB RM?

Both rods excel for deep diving cranks.

I have the 805CB RM and use it for deep diving cranks.

I also throw wake baits and heavy shallow cranks.

Frank,

I have read from several sources that the 805CB RM was designed by Randy to specifically fish deep divers. I have also read that the 804CB will handle deep divers but is more for shallow to medium divers.

Specifically I will be throwing square-bills and medium divers and Lucky Craft wake-baits most times, although I plan on getting a 10XD to try out as well as a Flash Mob Jr. umbrella rig ( I will need to snip one wire off to be legal in Ontario)

I will appreciate any of your thoughts on this matter. I will also run this by Ed before the purchase as well.

Thanks,

Steve

Frank,

I have read from several sources that the 805CB RM was designed by Randy to specifically fish deep divers. I have also read that the 804CB will handle deep divers but is more for shallow to medium divers.

Specifically I will be throwing square-bills and medium divers and Lucky Craft wake-baits most times, although I plan on getting a 10XD to try out as well as a Flash Mob Jr. umbrella rig ( I will need to snip one wire off to be legal in Ontario)

I will appreciate any of your thoughts on this matter. I will also run this by Ed before the purchase as well.

Thanks,

Steve

Hey Drop,

I imagine the 804 would be fine for everything you listed other than maybe the umbrella rig. Talking to Ed may help there but I am not sure if he has even thrown one. As for the umbrella rig itself, Ed has ontario legal ones at the shop but even if you buy the one you want, you don't have to snip any wires off. You could use spinner blades or just cut the hook off of one or two of the jig heads. The rules stipulate how many hooks per bait and not how many wires are allowed on a bait.

I throw the 10XD on an 805 and it handles it well without issue. I like my DD Normans alot and throw the 22's on my 765 Glass and once again operates like a charm.

Ainsley I think you will like the Dobyns compared to the Powells. Its hard to put a handle on and I am sure you can relate but they give you a confident feeling. Aside from balance,durability ,flex and all the other categories they just feel right ! I have fished alot of the rods that are popular in the US and not so up here and I really like the Dobyns line up. Not to mention Gary is a great guy , down to earth and stands by his product.

Hey Drop,

I imagine the 804 would be fine for everything you listed other than maybe the umbrella rig. Talking to Ed may help there but I am not sure if he has even thrown one. As for the umbrella rig itself, Ed has ontario legal ones at the shop but even if you buy the one you want, you don't have to snip any wires off. You could use spinner blades or just cut the hook off of one or two of the jig heads. The rules stipulate how many hooks per bait and not how many wires are allowed on a bait.

Most guys I know throwing them just add the spinner blade as you mentioned.

I own 5 lew's, 2 of which are 5.4:1 TP cranking reels. I'd like to get another cranking reel but can't decide between the BB1 and another Tournament Pro.

I'm not sure how well the BB1 will cast lighter crankbaits

Bit of an individual thing with the BB1 . I know guys who love them,myself included and others who just cannot get used to how they handle. if you are close enough feel free to drop me a PM and give mine a whirl.

They are designed by Gary Dobyns and they are definitely not a fad. They have been in the US a long time and starting to get very popular in canada.

http://dobynsrods.com/about-us/

The rods are above most USDM offerings and have excellent customer service. You have to feel the balance on these rods. Do a quick search on tackletour, UB, or BBC.

Go to your local dealer and pick one up and try.

Edited by musky_hunter

Fish with what you like and what you can afford I say. If you want to just make do and that is your style of fishing why not. Rods are like shoes ,what is good for you might be terrible for me. I have fished for many years on both sides of the border and been lucky enough to be able to try all manufacturers at one time or another. High end,low end and in between. I prefer Dobyns rods ,I like Gary and I like his company . He stands behind his product and if any issues arise he will take care of them as soon as possible.I cannot say that for some of the others I have used.

I will echo that they are not a fad.

The gen 2 rods have been around for around 5 years ( that I know of) but the gen 1 rods have been around for a while. The gen 1 rods were having breakage issues so Gary pulled them off the market and started over again. He still honoured the warranties with the gen 1's and he hasn't had the qc issues he had with the first gen. He switched manufacturing companies and quality went way up.

I have used both the savvy series and the champion series so far and I love them. As stated before, I have just bought a Dobyns champion extreme that I am looking forward to suing this year. It balanced better than a glx, the megabass x4 destruction, and a slew of other high end rods.

The nrx balanced better but was almost $600 and wasn't rated for anything over 3/4 of an ounce. The cumura balanced about the same but it has a few components that I do not like when compared to the champion extreme.

As for warranty, I don't think there is a better one on the market at this point.

Frank,

Thanks,

Steve

Steve,

I agree with Adam (Lape0019), The 804CB is probably a better all around (medium to deep cranks) than the 805CB RM.

I have an 805CB RM and I have tried it for medium square bill cranks and it works OK but it excels for deep cranking.

I use a 764CB RM for medium diving cranks.

The 804CB being (8-17lb, 1/4-1oz, Medium/Mod Fast ) will work better (IMHO) for the medium diving cranks than the 805CB RM which is (10-20lb, 3/8-1 1/2oz, Med/Hvy Mod/Fast).

As for the umbrella rigs, talk to Ed. He was out with Gary Dobyns and I do believe they were throwing the umbrella rigs. I can't remember what rod they were using.

Meh......I'm of the opinion that if a person knows how to catch fish, any decent rod will do. I don't get caught up in the fancy high end stuff. I do fine without it.

S.

I totally agree with you.

$250 to $350 is the max I will spend on a rod. Same for my reels.

Anything over that price range is fancy high end stuff that I keep away from.

Balance is the key to dobyns rods, hard to find a better balanced rod for the price. The new Megabass XX are very balanced too, i think even more than the x4 rods i've felt.

This is 100% accurate, the xx line came in at the same time as the x4's Ed had special ordered and I was really looking forward to the 7'2 destruction but it was a little tip heavy with the Core I was planning on mounting on it. The xx line balanced almost the same as the DX I ended up with. The difference was not quite noticeable. It was that close but after spending 20 minutes trying to figure out which one to grab, I went with the Dobyns. The reasoning was basically it balanced a tad bit better, has a lifetime warranty against defects as opposed to 3 years, and IMO, looks a hell of a lot better. Plus I have experience with the Dobyns product and it has not let me down...

Adam