SOS for an ice auger

mr blizzard

I know alot of you are looking to get out on the soft water, but it is going to be a while before it happens up here.

I have a jiffy auger approx 6 years old, been a sweet machine for me.

Today I was almost thru the 48 inches of ice when it stalled.

Before today with the engine off you could spin the handles counter clockwise freely. Now when you go to restart it as you are pulling the cord the auger wants to turn as well. When you rotate the handles counterclockwise with it off you hear a gravely type sound,

Any help is appreciated as labour rates are ridiculous here as most other spots.

The motor does run.

Thanks and much appreciated,

John

I know alot of you are looking to get out on the soft water, but it is going to be a while before it happens up here.

I have a jiffy auger approx 6 years old, been a sweet machine for me.

Today I was almost thru the 48 inches of ice when it stalled.

Before today with the engine off you could spin the handles counter clockwise freely. Now when you go to restart it as you are pulling the cord the auger wants to turn as well. When you rotate the handles counterclockwise with it off you hear a gravely type sound,

Any help is appreciated as labour rates are ridiculous here as most other spots.

The motor does run.

Thanks and much appreciated,

John

It must be a clutch problem,if it's turning when you pull it? usually it would run/idle and not turn till you gave it gas right?

It must be a clutch problem,if it's turning when you pull it? usually it would run/idle and not turn till you gave it gas right?

Yes your right, it would normally idle till throttled up

Mine was the shaft wore or was inproperly tapered... yours might be the centrifical clutch pads fell apart! (picture 3 housing.. 4 shows pads)

Thanks I will take it apart tonite, thanks for the pictures, the manual got lost in the move, are the clutch pads reasonably priced, if the shaft is worn can it be built up, and again thanks

John... I turned the shaft around on mine (hense the pic of me moving the bearing to the other end) to get a fresh shaft end for the housing bearing and then welded the worn end into the clutch housing. Mine did exactly what you are describing... stayed engaged.. and it was just the fact the shaft was no longer being held in the center and the clutch pads where hitting the drive housing.

There's a reason I have 3 power augers!!!! :D

You never know when one is going to have a problem. B)

Had my 3 hp Strikemaster break a lower gear case on a trip out to a local lake last month and had to run home to get the backup Eskimo powerhead.

I have since added a 3rd auger a Tanaka. :good:

'Cause you can never have too many fishing rods, boats, guns or power augers!!! :lol:

John... I turned the shaft around on mine (hense the pic of me moving the bearing to the other end) to get a fresh shaft end for the housing bearing and then welded the worn end into the clutch housing. Mine did exactly what you are describing... stayed engaged.. and it was just the fact the shaft was no longer being held in the center and the clutch pads where hitting the drive housing.

Thanks Wayne, appreciate the help, hopefully the season is not over yet

looks like we got this one nailed. :clapping: I guess with 48" of ice you are really pressure testing this thing. :thumbsup_anim:

Art

Art you have to see it to believe it, further north I have saw pics of them drilling thru 11 feet of ice.

There's a reason I have 3 power augers!!!! :D

You never know when one is going to have a problem. B)

Had my 3 hp Strikemaster break a lower gear case on a trip out to a local lake last month and had to run home to get the backup Eskimo powerhead.

I have since added a 3rd auger a Tanaka. :good:

'Cause you can never have too many fishing rods, boats, guns or power augers!!! :lol:

When are u having a garage sale, I knew I should have not waited to check with my wife :wallbash::wallbash:

John brought his powerhead over tonight.

Problem is a broken clutch spring. :)

He will go and see the local small engine guy in the morning and hopefully get replacements.

Pretty good chance I think seeing how they had a carb kit in stock for my 3hp Tecumseh. ;)

The gear that comes out of the cltch was worn so it has been reversed as well.

Took the emery cloth to the clutch housing and a scotchbrite pad to the clutch pads too.

Should be good for another 7 years once it's put back together. B)

One great community... it shows over and over again here.

Wayne in the words of thr Irish Rovers "may you be half way to heaven before the devil knows your dead" lol :clapping: , thats ok appluma, its not a bad word, I checked with my wife, just kidding :whistling:

Those pictures you took repairing your auger helped another member 4000 ish miles away.

Dave and I should have it running tomorrow if they have the parts, and yes I like the idea of reversing the shaft.

At the end of the day this board has more similarities than differences, and thats what makes it stand out.

Cheers Blizz