Fly fishing leader

davey buoy

if you're equally concerned about preserving your fly line tip, you can nail knot a piece of 20 lb mono to your fly line, and then a loop knot....that way you can you loop to loop your leaders and fly line

the perfection loop knot is quick and easy to learn, and from what I've seen is what is usually factory tied on tapered leaders

If I recall last year,BPS didn't carry the leader with a loop at the end. I did ask. I bought the 9' leader and used a nail knot to tie to the fly line if I remember correctly.

The BPS fly shop should have all kinds of leader with pre-made loops in them. That's pretty much the only place I buy mine.

As the guys have said, the loop is key and if you don't have one using a perfection loop or something similar is great because loop to loop connections are quick and strong.

I like the factory tapered leaders because they are quick and if you take care of them really don't go through them that quickly. I like to use a triple surgeons knot to attach my tippet to my leader. Once I get to break off to my know I cut and redo my tippet.

Just to keep things interesting....

I've been tossing flies a long long time. My typical setup doesn't include a tapered leader. I run a length of 6-12lb mono or fluoro depending the situation. To that I add lengths of tippet as required. This I run for nymphing and larger sized dries like stimulators, mice and hopper patterns.

Streamers, I'll usually run a length of sink tip from 4 to 12 feet depending on the water. Attached to that, 15lb fluoro....4 feet of it, no more, but possibly less.

There's one situation I'll use a tapered leader. The tiniest of dry flies. sizes 18 and smaller definitely benefit from a tapered leader. As others have mentioned, turning over tiny flies is tough...

???Turning over bulky wind resistant flies is tough. Turning over small flies is easier.

Adding a loop to the butt of a leader is not hard.

I make a loop on the end of my fly line by soaking the last 2 inches of it in nail polish remover and then scraping off the plastic coating then fold over the core and wrap it with fly thread and bobbin and epoxy or crazy glue the wrap - creating a loop with the core.

When nymphing I prefer to run thin 6-8 lb line for the majority of the leader length then step down to my tippet. This helps reduce drag and get flies deep faster.

Like everyone is saying, it totally depends on your style. When fly fishing, I personally always use a tapered leader, which varies in length (6-12ft.) depending on if I'm tossing heavier streamers (shorter leader) or the tiniest of dry flies or nymphs (longer leader for finicky fish). A tapered leader essentially helps to transfer the energy from the heavy fly line down through to the tippet and ultimately helps to turn over the fly when casting. That being said, my go-to leader/tippet length is 9ft for most occasions.

I use an albright knot tied to the end of the fly line that connects a heavy piece of mono of about 3 inches. At the end of that thick mono is a perfection loop. This perfection loop is used to connect the leader (also ending in a perfection loop) using a loop to loop connection. For the leader itself, I personally use knotted leaders that step down from a heavier diameter mono, in varing lengths and diameters down to possibly a 0x, to which I tie on tippet material. I connect the segments of mono using blood knots. This takes some time to get used to but as you do it more and more, it gets faster and faster and I'd like to think it saves some cash. The small spools of varying diameter mono are quite cheap and last a long time, since you're only taking small pieces out at a time. As I change my flies and the tippet gets shorter and shorter, I simply just tie on a new piece of tippet and I'm good to go! Works for me!

Hope this helps!

Thanks guys,for myself I'll try a 9' looped leader again,and hopefully not break it,and than tie a new tippet on when it gets to short. Maybe I missed something but when I tie my tippet through the loop,should it be tightened as one .Or should I make a loop to loop?.From what I'm reading a looped leader to a looped tippet can work?

Also guys I do have lots of mono I could use as a leader.What pound mono test would work in a 8/9 setup?.

My leaders start at about 20lb on the thick end down to about 4-6lb. for the tippet. It really depends on the conditions though. More important when tying a knotted tapered leader is to pay attention to and ensure that the line diametres are decreasing for each segment as you get closer to your tippet. This will ensure better energy transfer from the fly line through to the fly. Again, a personal preference.

Edited by FishTracker

My leaders start at about 20lb on the thick end down to about 4-6lb. for the tippet. It really depends on the conditions though. More important when tying a knotted tapered leader is to pay attention to and ensure that the line diametres are decreasing for each segment as you get closer to your tippet. This will ensure better energy transfer from the fly line through to the fly. Again, a personal preference.

Is that standard when you buy a leader?,meaning the taper being from 20lb-4/6 lb?

Is that standard when you buy a leader?,meaning the taper being from 20lb-4/6 lb?

Again, there are countless types of leader out there. Some with start with 20 or 50 lb and decrease in diameter until reaching the end of the leader. These will range in very heavy sizes such as 0x down to much lighter, delicate sizes such as 8x and lighter.

It really depends on the leader you buy. They come in all lengths and strengths, depending on their purpose. For knotless tapered leaders you'll see things like "9ft. 4x" on the label, meaning that it's 9 feet in length going down to (ending) with a 4x tippet with perhaps a 6lb. test rating for the tippet, which should be the weakest part of the entire line.

Edited by FishTracker

Great thread. Thanks for starting it Dave.

The one good thing about fly fishing,no worries about tieing roe.LOL

Very interesting,always learning.A lot of great people here to help out.Far better than google! lol.

Edited by davey buoy