Stiff Outboard Steering??

reelinrolly

Heh guys.

Got the boat out for the first time yesterday and noticed the steering was quite stiff.

The steering link rod needs greasing.

My question is, since there is no fitting to grease the shaft, do I just apply grease by hand on the retracted shaft?

Thanks guys

How hard are the cables to replace. I'm pretty new to outboards. Better to just have a mechanic look at it?

depends on the boat but overall to to hard to fish them in and attach, hardest part is being a contorsionist and attaching to helm

Like the others have said it could be frayed cables

We had to replace the cables on our old glastron a few years ago

After the cables were replaced along with a new motor our steering became stiff on Sparrow Lake while trying to go to Glouster Pool.

The mechanic forgot to grease the steering column, I took the shaft of the steering wheel apart, greased it been fine ever since, I do this every 3 years.

Yes, if your OB doesn't have a grease fitting on the tilt tube do yourself a favour and pick up one of these.

It replaces one of the nuts on the tilt tube that the cable runs through and allows you to use a grease gun to properly grease the cable and tilt tube.

http://shop.discountmarinesupply.biz/1-STEERING-GUARD-TILT-TUBE-GREASE-ADAPTER-50-28261.htm

1363756213408168857625.jpeg

Edited by DRIFTER_016