Fishing near hamilton

johnnybo1

Hello,

I would like to start by saying I'm new to this forum and hello to all. I'm currently living in Hamilton while I'm in school and I'm not to sure where to fish around here.

not looking to travel to far because I don't drive. I don't own a boat either so I will be shore fishing.

I understand nothing is open right now but I have 2 weeks off school till next semester and I'm itching to catch me some fish( so glad winter is over it felt like forever). :Gonefishing:

Looking for some Big channel cats this week and maybe get into some brook,rainbow, or brown trout in a week from now.

I hear the grand is good for both cats and trout but its such a big river I don't even know where to start.

If anyone could point me in the right direction at the grand or on some good fishing waters that would be great.(You can PM me if you would like)

Thanks

Johnnyboy

Welcome aboard. Dunnville is pretty well your best starting point for channel cats on the grand. If you're shore fishing, there are plenty of areas near the dam to cast a line. There are also a few launches if you have a boat. The catfish are all over the place. I find the bigger ones are up shallow.

Hello all,

So I took your advice's and went to the grand river in Dunville caught a crap load of channel cats, had a great time, and the weather was beautiful. Got about 15 channel cats, not bad for a first trip. The cats I got were not very big, my largest was about 4 lbs...( I hear they can get up to like 25 pounds :worthy: ). To sum up the day I had a blast and next time ill catch me a big one B) .

Thanks for the advice Rich & davey buoy, cheers!

Actually they grow far and above 25, double that! But I'd say that was a pretty good day. I never get the big ones in dunnville, best I've ever got there is a 15 last spring. But I've seen enough giants landed by others to keep going back. Good job for giving it a go and catching some fish for your troubles, and thanks for reporting back. :)

Yea np rich. I actually have a few questions you might be able to answer?

When I was fishing channel cats, fish were jumping all around me at first I thought maybe they were crappie because they were shiny and silver on the side and darker blackish colour on the top. Untill I seen one go to the surface and realized it was a trout ( not sure if it was a rainbow, brown or brook). Weird part about it was every once and a while a fish would stick it's head out of the water about 4 inches almost like it was gulping for air and swim a foot or so like that.

Any idea if it was a trout or not?

if so what kind?

is this normal behaviour for a trout if it is one?

Trout is open next week and I have never caught one any tricks or tactics on catching these beautiful fish? (I do not fly fish)

Yea np rich. I actually have a few questions you might be able to answer?

When I was fishing channel cats, fish were jumping all around me at first I thought maybe they were crappie because they were shiny and silver on the side and darker blackish colour on the top. Untill I seen one go to the surface and realized it was a trout ( not sure if it was a rainbow, brown or brook). Weird part about it was every once and a while a fish would stick it's head out of the water about 4 inches almost like it was gulping for air and swim a foot or so like that.

Any idea if it was a trout or not?

if so what kind?

is this normal behaviour for a trout if it is one?

Trout is open next week and I have never caught one any tricks or tactics on catching these beautiful fish? (I do not fly fish)

sounds like carp to me...

Trout in dunnville? I mean, they run through there to get up the grand, but it's not really a high percentage spot. Though right now in dunnville til the end of june, fish of all sorts will be jumping. The fish you saw were most likely mooneye, or gizzard shads which can be trout like in appearance when they get to be about 2ft long.

If they were trout, and are still there next time, I'd say throw the biggest spinners you got... But dunnville is more of a coarse fish sanctuary with some walleyes, i really doubt it was bows.

What you saw was a school of Mooneyes. They will be everywhere along the river for a few more weeks.

Something like this,

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=i&source=images&cd=&docid=VZ6DWdxUs1S4xM&tbnid=JF16dHA3K3IEbM:&ved=0CAgQjRwwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dec.ny.gov%2Fanimals%2F52751.html&ei=A0p4UfXkJI-vqQHIwYHgBw&psig=AFQjCNHJpf1X5I-QYZ3JP_I56F25dB-ofg&ust=1366924163637612

Edited by Old Ironmaker