Ram Mount - For Lowrance HDS 10?

hutch4113

Hi Everyone,

I have a Smokercraft Pro Mag 182, with a full windshield. I am thinking of upgrading my electronics - particularly the fish finder. With the current Dash - the biggest one that will fit is my current model (7 HDS). I want to go to a 10 - but the windshield will be an issue.

Anyone used a RAM mount to workaround this problem? If so, can you send me some pictures, so I have an idea on mounting possibilities?

Thanks.

I'm not a fan of ram mounts. In rough water mine would go down so i sold them. Unfortunately they work out best on some windshield models. If you do decide on it, make sure you get the 2.5" ball.

I use a johnny ray 207 and a Cisco Mount for my HDS 10.

If you are going to install an HDS 10 on it and want it not to budge, I would have a look at the following mounts:

Cisco (mentioned above) http://www.ciscofishingsystemsltd.com/shop/sure-lok-electronics-mount-5225

RMC mounts http://radioworld.ca/electronics-mount-c-3_769.html?filter_id=233

Here is a video for some mounting possibilities,

I run a HB 1197 on a crestliner fishhawk 1750 so very similar layout to what your facing.

I bought the RAM-D-111U-C which is for the big fish finders and mounted it on the gunnel right beside the windshield

That RAM does not move when tightened down but I have to say in really rough water where the boat is taking a bit of a beating in the waves that size of unit on top of the RAM does have some weight and it makes me a bit nervous trying to run full out

I run Lake O and Erie and get bounced around a bit so I just take the throttle back a bit

Not a fan either... I prefer a regular gimble bracket where possible...

My brother has a 10" unit on 2 ram mounts... Doesn't hold worth a poop...

I've even used big heavy duty ones with computers on lift trucks... Not the greatest...

I'm guessing there are some situations where they're good... But I haven't seen it yet...

But sometime you have to compromise due to limitations...

Not a fan either... I prefer a regular gimble bracket where possible...

My brother has a 10" unit on 2 ram mounts... Doesn't hold worth a poop...

I've even used big heavy duty ones with computers on lift trucks... Not the greatest...

I'm guessing there are some situations where they're good... But I haven't seen it yet...

But sometime you have to compromise due to limitations...

The one Dax has there is the wrong size for the HDS 10, you get the proper one it will not move. its $150, the $85 is the wrong size to small

I had my 7 on the 1.5", didnt hold worth a damn. Ball was destroyed the first year, had to buy a new one.

My 10 used to be on the 2.5", in rough water, it slowly moves down. I didnt trust it, so i replaced it with more of a fixed mount. Didnt want it moving to hit the windshield or dash. Maybe i was just unlucky with mine.

The one Dax has there is the wrong size for the HDS 10, you get the proper one it will not move. its $150, the $85 is the wrong size to small

Also a ram isn't needed on most boats... If a gimbal bracket fits... I'd be using that...

Best use I've seen for a ram mount was a support for the head of the bow mount electric motor... It stopped it from bouncing and flexing all day in rough water....