Used Fishfinder advice?

Hello all, I was wondering if I might get some feedback about buying a used Fishfinder. I just got my first boat this year and was hoping to pick up a used one if possible. This would be my first finder so all the techie stuff is a bit beyond me so not sure what to look for or what to apy. The range of options and prices is huge so any feedback on what to look for and how much to pay would be great. Area to fish would be mostly down Niagara way with a trip to Detroit river and up north once a year. Thanks for any comments! Chris

Edited by fishhatemybait

There are some very impressive "first" fish finders out there that aren't too much $.

Features I would recommend trying to get based on your budget

GPS

Colour

I don't think I'd ever buy a sonar without these now. I've also been quite impressed with the recent down imaging units (fish finder only) for clarity and detail. The Lowrance Elite 4 and 5's are pretty nice. There are some good deals at Radio World right now for Lowrance Mark 5 units, Brand new for under $200 as well as some Humminbird units

I run Hummingbird now (deal I couldn't pass up) but have been a long time Lowrance user. Both units are reliable

New fishfinders you can get not much more than a hundred bucks. They do so much more now than they did 5 years ago for more money.I don't know your budget,but a new one will give you a warranty,and really how much less would a used one cost.The skies the limit on these things,but entry level is not bad. Good luck!

I agree buy new. Budget yourself around $200.00 for a very good entry level sonar, less for black and white. You say it's your first boat, a GPS unit is a safety feature today, not just a luxury. For $661.03 including tax to be exact you can get a very good sonar/GPS combo, including chip. Go to the Sail Store website and there you will find a Hummingbird 5"screen size combo that combines sonar and GPS that includes a Navionics card which most GPS manufacturers do not include in the price other than Garmin. If you are new to boating and the boat is used a GPS combo is even more important, you need to know sonar will give you the depth where you are, GPS will give you the depth of where you are going. It will mark your path of travel, if you didn,t bottom out on the way out follow the same path back and you are fairly sure you won't bottom out on your return.

Most importantly It will give you and your loved ones real peace of mind knowing if you need assistance someone will know exactly where you are down to a few yards.

The unit you are going to look for at Sail is,

Hummingbird 597ciHD Combo with Navionics $584.99

That is a 5" high definition screen, all you need plus many features including boat speed, water temperature and depth in large block numbers at the bottom of the screen which I just love. So if we price the sonar alone at $200.00 and the Navionics chips go for around $200.00 that's $184.99 for the GPS unit, what a deal. A few years ago you where looking at around $1000.00 for something similar with far less capability, if I can remember that far back. Make sure you get the Great Lakes on your card for The Niagara and Detroit rivers. Not 100% sure about the card included in the Hummingbird but my Garmin chip shows these rivers with my Great Lakes card. if you can't swing the 600 bucks and we have all been there, I have a Eagle Ultra portable that can be mounted permanently I can part with.

I fish Erie and that's all I need, could spend $1200.00 or more plus the cost of a Navionics cardfor basically the same unit other than big screen and side scanning.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Save a little up a bit more money and go new. I just went through this recently and ended up buying a new instead of used.

Lots of factors to consider when buying. If you know these waters well enough then a gps combo might not be needed. Colour is nice but if you want more bang for your buck, black and white might be the way to go.

For example I just bought the humminbird 571 HD DI portable for my little boat. I fish small bodies over water where getting lost isn't really and issue. Just wanted a good sonar to find fish... the down imaging was a bonus and looks like it will be an awesome tool on small back lakes. The NO TAX sale at sail also had something to do with the purchase. Price around $350. Also the navionics app could help you out in the gps department on those bigger bodies of water.

good advice above.

GPS is sooooo valiable. For safety and finding that spot on a spot. Humps in deeper water.

Colour also awesome.

Bigger is better. 5 inch screen is a little small for a GPS/sonar combo split screen.

I would spend the money and do it right. This is not something you will buy again for a while.

Forget going out to a restaurant a few times. Forget flowers for the lady.

Get a good unit