sled battery question

mr blizzard

Thinking of getting an agm battery , glass matt battery for the sled , is it worth it?

The only thing I found out was that if it were totally dead, u should put jumpers to it from a fully charged battery and at the same time hook your charger to it then after 1 hour just keep the charger hooked up having just taken the cables off from the fully charged battery. I do like the fact they are sealed.

Any benefits compared to a ctc job.

Thanks

John

The one thing you really have to pay attention to is the charging rate and max voltage. They don't like being overcharged at all.

Thanks Fisherman, maybe I should invest in a new charger, mine is from the Flinstone era. Have a great weekend.

they last longer can be positioned in any way and most newer sleds come with a agm sealed battery

Thanks ecmilley I guess it is a good way to go, enjoy the long weekend, I'll be ice fishing, still 50 inches of good hard water LOL can't get enough.

Less likely to freeze. Handles vibration and jarring better than wet cell. All of the motorcycles here have them.

Art

Thanks Art for the time, this was new to me but if it is good for a Harley its gotta be good for a Polaris LOL enjoy your weekend,

Cheers.

maybe I should invest in a new charger, mine is from the Flinstone era. Have a great weekend.

Best kind....

.. if that AGM, or any other battery, goes totally flat... the new digital/electronic charges can't do anything without enough sense voltage to get them started. Also.. the old "flinstone" charger is the only thing you can get a good boil going to save a battery that was about to see the scrap pile. Also keep in mind AGM's and such things as "Odyssey" batteries require a higher charging voltage than regular batteries. You won't get that "push" out of most newer "smart" chargers.

Best kind....

.. if that AGM, or any other battery, goes totally flat... the new digital/electronic charges can't do anything without enough sense voltage to get them started. Also.. the old "flinstone" charger is the only thing you can get a good boil going to save a battery that was about to see the scrap pile. Also keep in mind AGM's and such things as "Odyssey" batteries require a higher charging voltage than regular batteries. You won't get that "push" out of most newer "smart" chargers.

Thanks also, you offer great advice, of interest the charger I have is an old motomaster 5 amp, product # 111513 LOL. Just a yellow light, no guages, ,,,,,,it does say with automatic overload protection,

It was given to me by Jack McCann my uncle who is long gone but was the youngest pilot in the airforce to fly a prime minister full time, being Lester B Pearson .

I will always keep the charger for a keepsake,,But will the old one not overbake the agm which I understand is its down fall?

Big thing is voltage.. you want the + side of 14volts on an Odyessy.. which is an AGM for all intensive purposes so if you have a meter see what it's putting out while charging the battery. Now a 5amp charger ain't gonna boil anything to save it unfortunately, but at least it will put the polarity back in a dead battery so one of the newer smart chargers can take it from there once you get the battery back on line.

Big thing is voltage.. you want the + side of 14volts on an Odyessy.. which is an AGM for all intensive purposes so if you have a meter see what it's putting out while charging the battery. Now a 5amp charger ain't gonna boil anything to save it unfortunately, but at least it will put the polarity back in a dead battery so one of the newer smart chargers can take it from there once you get the battery back on line.

:good::good::worthy:

also some of the newer chargers can do this an example is a motomaster nautiles charger it can push 15 vots and 15 amps max using smart technology and ahas a battery reconditioning feature that can bring sometimes bring life back to a sulphated battery, best part is it has a manual feature, to really put a charge to it.

.. if that AGM, or any other battery, goes totally flat... the new digital/electronic charges can't do anything without enough sense voltage to get them started.

Absolutely Wayne

My on-board charger is a rather $$$$ MinnKota that works great 99 % of the time, but if I have a very long day on the water and run the 2 deep cycles way down the darned thing won't do anything.

I have to get out the old portable charger to get them started.

Pain in the butt really.

Edited by lew