Amber rum? Suggestions on a good one?

Burtess

Buy him a $31 bottle of El Dorado Silver Deluxe.. and he'll love you and hate you at the same time.. as he continues to buy it and tries to find a store that stocks it to satisfy his new taste!

Edited by irishfield

I can't stand rum, but a buddy of mine is a rum guy, and swears by Old Sam. Hard to find, very dark, and even I can manage to tip back a few of them. Its an east coast thing, but I'm pretty sure it comes from jamaica. Any other rum gives me the heebee jeebies.

S.

So I picked up a bottle of the Ron Zacapa 23 Centenario, mostly because of the nice bottle and it came in a box lol... He said one of his high roller poker buddies has brought it over before and if he would buy any bottle he would have picked that one, so I think I did OK. I think he normally drinks Bacardi or Capt Morgan so at least its something different.

Thanks very much for all the suggestions.... I may have to try this stuff.

Burt :)

wow no one mentioned Legendario? Legendario elixir de cuba is one of the best sipping rums in my option. Very hard to find in Ontario but you may be able to find it outside of the province ( Damn LCBO) If you have any friends that may be going to Cuba its a must have. About $11 for a bottle. Give it a "shot" if you get a chance.

nick

wow no one mentioned Legendario? Legendario elixir de cuba is one of the best sipping rums in my option. Very hard to find in Ontario but you may be able to find it outside of the province ( Damn LCBO) If you have any friends that may be going to Cuba its a must have. About $11 for a bottle. Give it a "shot" if you get a chance.

nick

Not for everybody!!!! One of my buddies said the same thing and I brought back 2 bottles in January. And i can't stand the stuff. I guess it's an aquired taste just like mamajuana from the Dominican.(that's stuff I like)

Not for everybody!!!! One of my buddies said the same thing and I brought back 2 bottles in January. And i can't stand the stuff. I guess it's an aquired taste just like mamajuana from the Dominican.(that's stuff I like)

interesting.... I guess not everyone like sweet rum. Legendario does make a nice 7 year old rum that i've bought. I think its called dorando.. I'd be more than happy to take those 2 bottles off your hand. :whistling:

Nick

interesting.... I guess not everyone like sweet rum. Legendario does make a nice 7 year old rum that i've bought. I think its called dorando.. I'd be more than happy to take those 2 bottles off your hand. :whistling:

Nick

You're going to have to trade him some Dominican mamajuana for it lol.... :w00t:

Actually I gave them to my buddy that said it was good. Maybe it was all planned!!!

I brought a lot of Dominican rum back 3 weeks ago, declared everything and it cost me $108.00 of duty fees. But I am not going to run out of Brugal Anejo.

Edited by wallyboss

They have both at my local LCBO in Toronto. Try searching the LCBO's website for locations that carry either. If you can't find some locally you can ask your local store to have some sent over from another LCBO.

Thanks Dan but a search of the LCBO site comes up empty for the Kracken, gonna stop in at my store tomorrow and inquire.

Cheers

Quick me,

I brought back some of that branch and root mixture a few years back and I now make my own mamajuana. I always have 2 x 1 liters on the go. I make one with white wine in the recipe and the other one with red wine.

Just make sure that if you bring some back that it is not in it's dry form or it could be confiscated at the airport, I didn't know that when I brought mine back but they never checked my luggage and I had declared it.

If you need the recipe of ingredients to add to the roots and spice concoction.

Edited by wallyboss

Mike has turned me into a dark rum fan, I've gotta admit... We needed more booze on the Sutton, next time we'll pack accordingly!!! :)

Burtess (and BillM). Skip the amber rum, and as BillM suggested, go straight for the dark stuff. Black, in fact. Black Rum. So good. Gosling's is my favourite, especially if mixed as a Dark 'n Stormy using good Bermuda Stone Ginger Beer.

Dark ‘n’ Stormy

2 ounces Gosling’s Black Seal black rum

About 4 ounces Gosling’s Stormy Ginger Beer (or other ginger beer)

Lime slice, for garnish.

Fill a highball glass with ice and add the ginger beer. Top with the black rum, so it layers real nice on top, and garnish with the lime slice.

I prefer mine with 4-5 dashes of angostura bitters on top as well, but that's optional.

Goslings-Black-Seal-Rum-Bottle.jpeg

Edited by vtbass

Burtess (and BillM). Skip the amber rum, and as BillM suggested, go straight for the dark stuff. Black, in fact. Black Rum. So good. Gosling's is my favourite, especially if mixed as a Dark 'n Stormy using good Bermuda Stone Ginger Beer.

Dark ‘n’ Stormy

Lime slice, for garnish.

Fill a highball glass with ice and add the ginger beer. Top with the black rum, so it layers real nice on top, and garnish with the lime slice.

I prefer mine with 4-5 dashes of angostura bitters on top as well, but that's optional.

That is something I want to try!

Dark ‘n’ Stormy

Lime slice, for garnish.

Goslings-Black-Seal-Rum-Bottle.jpeg

i know what i'm going to have at dinner time tonight! thanks!

nick