Last chance on Simcoe

bigugli

Got an invite to hit SImcoe before the huts got pulled. Apparently, a friend had swung a special package for the hut. We were a little disappointed when we got there. Overflowing garbage :glare: from previous occupants was still in the huts. The taxi equipment was in rough shape (thought we might have to push the argo home :dunno: ) . Hut heater worked great,but the only way to vent the shack was to leave the door open. I realize the owner has only had the business 2 years, but equipment needs to be maintained.

As for the fishing, the huts were in 25-30 FOW off Pt Bolster, and the bite was slow and soft.

The group of us probably caught, in total, 100 perch, all dinks. There were a couple herring to give excitement . I even "found" one of them ellusive whitefish everyone was talking about. Shook him off at the hole to watch him slowly sink and chum the waters.

All the same. it was a beautiful bluebird day. I had good company, and we caught fish. and I am grateful for getting an opportunity to finally get up to Simcoe this ice season.

At least you had some good activity! I think some bussiness operaters do not realize word of mouth is your best friend.!,You never know what may hit your line?.This will be my last ice weekend.Hope to report something of size.Tributary time next!!!!!!

Tributary time next

Not for awhile from what I seen this afternoon.

Overflowing garbage :glare: from previous occupants was still in the huts. The taxi equipment was in rough shape (thought we might have to push the argo home :dunno: ) . Hut heater worked great,but the only way to vent the shack was to leave the door open. I realize the owner has only had the business 2 years, but equipment needs to be maintained.

Thats just uncalled for. Not sure I would of paid for that trip out Bruce.

Sounds like a fun day on the ice with a bit of entertainment as well. Too bad of the the conditions of the hut and the not so great transportation. I know that being the end of the season the last thing he probably wants to do is service the equipment. However, it's apart of providing a quality day for your clients and their likely return or word of mouth advertising. As for the garbage, that's just being lazy. Takes a minute or 2 to clean up when bringing everyone in at the end of the day. For that matter, leave a garbage bag in the hut for your clients to use. All of that aside, a great day on the ice with good company and some fish to boot.

How was the ice? I'm guessing pretty much glare with no snow? I'll be out there tomorrow but haven't decide on the location as of yet.

Edited by fishnsled

How was the ice? I'm guessing pretty much glare with no snow? I'll be out there tomorrow but haven't decide on the location as of yet.

4" of white with 8" of black, and some water pockets. Shore ice is getting a little iffy. One skidoo went through at shore and was being towed out.

The garbage can was overflowing with trash and TP. I don't think the new owners have a clue. I've noticed on more than one occassion, that immigrant buyers see the financial potential of the resort industry, but really have no idea on how to operate a recreational business.

Hi Bruce

Glad you made the 'Best' of the situation you were presented with! Good for you!

Word of mouth is the best advertisement and with this, the time of the information highway, bad press travels very fast.

Rick