NF: Ever See a Deer Chew Its Cud? - Video

JustinHoffman

Hello All,

While doing some deer photography this past December, I was fortunate to get within 15 feet of two young whitetails bedded down in the afternoon - and chewing their cud. It wasn't until after I reviewed the footage, that I realized you can actually watch first-hand how the process works - up close.

See why they do it and how in this very short video...

Cheers, Justin

Hey Guys,

Like I mentioned in my post regarding shed hunting, most of my hiking/filming/shed hunting is done in a 50,000 acre tract of land named the Green Belt here in Ottawa. This spot is literally a 10 minute drive from my home.

Many of these deer are use to seeing humans, as this tract of land is set out as hiking/biking/skiing spots. So, compared to deer you would just come across in the "wild" - ie. areas with no human interaction, they are more tolerant to the presence of people. Saying that, I bushwhack far off the path when out with the camera, routinely covering 10 to 15km's each time, far away from where most people venture.

It also comes down to a few other things. Being extremely quiet, stalking the animals, knowing deer behaviour and signs, and having a bit of luck. If you think that was close, during the rut - when the bucks have nothing on their mind other than mating - I get within 50 feet (and sometimes less than 15 feet!) of bit 8 and 10 point bucks. This is fairly routine for me. There is no hunting allowed on the green belt, so I am sure that also makes a difference.

Here is an image of a decent buck that was hot on the trail of a doe. He hardly looked at me during the 2 hours I spent with him. He even bedded down twice only 20 feet away - we both just sat in the grass and looked at one another. Pretty cool to say the least.

NCCDeer1_zps5bc9d456.jpg

Here is another one. I have over 1000 buck images from just this past fall.

NCCDeer2_zps6a9fd149.jpg

NCCDeer3_zps0a3f1c5f.jpg

Funny, on Facebook many of my friends have begun calling me the 'deer whisperer.' Maybe I have a knack. Who knows...lol.

Cheers,

Justin

Funny, on Facebook many of my friends have begun calling me the 'deer whisperer.' Maybe I have a knack. Who knows...lol.

You have an open invitation to my stand,,if this is the case. :)

I had the same thing . Deer would walk past a busy street,into another bush,then walk out to a few apple trees in an open feild. I was able to get real close to them,as they were use to humans being around. That bush now is townhouses.I have some great pics on my blown up PC.. :wallbash:

Edited by Misfish

Very cool..Thanks for sharing, I too would like to know how you got so close

sloooooow down. patience and practice are key!

you have to go into the bush knowing that you can spend hours stalking a deer just to be busted by one mistake. it's often frustrating, but once you get the hang of it you'll be hooked for life and will wonder why you ever bothered hunting or taking pictures from a stand. stalking is not only far more exciting than stand hunting, you'll see far more deer and learn more about them in the process ;)

deer are far easier to get close to if they're near populated area's with little to no hunting pressure and this would be the best place to start practicing your stalking skills. try the same thing on pressured deer in public hunting area's and you'll quickly learn how aware they are of their surroundings.

the last few seasons i've stalked and tagged deer at 10, 11, and 12 yards with the crossbow. planning for 9 yards or less next season :canadian:

Edited by ch312

Exactly, ch312. Many times I may hike less than 1/2 km in an hour or more. Concealment, moving when the animal is not looking, understanding behaviour and traits, etc., all come into play. Slowing down is the biggest one. So is being extra quiet.

IMO more hunters would be consistently successful if they knew how to stalk properly. it seems like too many people rush into the bush and are more concerned about camo, calls, scents, and equipment performance rather than their surroundings and the impact their presence has on wildlife.

seeing as you've already went over where to find the deer, maybe your next video will cover how to get close to them? i know a lot of hunters would benefit from it... :canadian: