Small stream brookies

Got out to a small stream that I used to fish a lot 15, 20 years ago. I haven't been there in years, but I thought it would be a great way to spend an afternoon and get my 18 month old black lab, Murphy, some exercise. I feel guilty leaving him at home during my fishing trips, but I don't want him wrecking peoples drifts (he loves to retrieve everybody's floats and help land their fish). I figured there would be no one there and the only person's fishing ruined would be mine.

Murphy loved it. Every new pool was a chance to go for another swim. It reminded me of when my brother and I fish together. Each of us trying to beat the other to the next pool, but Murphy is faster than my brother... or me. And if you think a bad cast or shadow can put the fish down picture a 95 pound dog splashing about in a stream that is 5 feet across.

After a while he slowed down a little and would watch as I would try to get my #2 panther martin first into and then out of each promising hole, pool or pocket.

I carefully worked my way towards a pool that looked to have 3 or 4 trout in it. The first cast to the head of the pool resulted in a quick strike from a small trout. Murphy became very excited. The brook trout was 5 inches long and I had to fend Murphy off as I tried to take a quick photo before putting it back in the pool whence it came. Murphy then promptly dove in to "retrieve" it for me. I can only imagine what the remaining fish in the pool thought as they scattered as he splashed about. That was it for that that spot so I moved on leaving Murphy to wonder why we were moving on from such a great spot I'm sure.

IMG_0035.2.jpg

I caught another 5 incher at the next pool, with similar results.

My last fish of the day was the biggest, 10-11 inches or so with a nice little fight because of the trees in and over the water. After the photo and release Murphy seamed to understand that he didn't have to go after it.

IMG_0037.6.jpg

Time to get home, we had been out for 3 hours and it was a 45 minute hike back to the car. My wife never has any issues with my trips, but if I can make it home in time to have dinner ready for her all the better.

Murphy was tired to say the least. I wanted to include a photo of him, but there is no more up load space available.

Rob

Rob....classic story. I was fishing a local trib the other week....no bites at all. I was convinced there were no fish in the creek. Suddenly a dog splashes into the water about 100 ft away....next thing I see is about 20 fish dart through the pool I'm fishing....LOL. At least I knew there were fish in there...I just couldn't catch any of them. :lol:

Thanks for report. Nice to see the brookies are starting to hit the #2 Panther Martins.

Thats my favorite type of fishing. Hundreds of miles of headwaters within an hour of GTA.

As the season moves into summer you'll find the fish out of the deeper pools and into the faster riffles and sluices.

Time to upsize to the #4 Panther Martins then as well.

Great story about the dog.

cheers,

ehg