Navionics Question

bassmaster4

Hey guys,

I'm looking to buy a Lowrance sonar unit, It comes with Navionics but it only covers the Great Lakes, Simcoe etc. I do a fair amount of fishing on smaller northern lakes around the Gowganda area and was just wondering if they would have a chip or whatever it is that i could buy that would have some of those lakes before i buy anything.

Thanks

bassmaster4

Even if those chips don't work north of temagami. If I bought a fishfinder/gps combo would the gps work at all north of temagami? Like would there be outlines for the lakes and stuff at least or would I just see a plain white page on the gps with my boat in the middle of it?

Even if those chips don't work north of temagami. If I bought a fishfinder/gps combo would the gps work at all north of temagami? Like would there be outlines for the lakes and stuff at least or would I just see a plain white page on the gps with my boat in the middle of it?

I just tried on my phone's navioincs app and most of the smaller lakes north of Temagami "disappeared" as I zoomed in. So as mentioned you might just have your boats path marked on a blank screen.

would a garmin gps cover northern ontario? I already have a down imaging fishfinder in mind so I would just buy a seperate garmin gps only unit for plotting.

What do you mean 'cover northern Ontario'?? It all depends on the maps you get. The Ontario topo covers the entire province.

I have the Navionics Gold maps on my Lowrance and I did fish a lake up near Gowganda last year. As others have said, I just got a blank screen, not even contour lines for the land.

One thing I wasn't expecting was that the new tracks I was creating every day seemed to shift a bit every day even though I travelled through the same channel.

See thats what I was wondering, even if I bought a seperate garming gps unit would it just give me a blank page in the north or would it at least give me lines for a lakes shorelines

The unit doesn't matter, the map does.. If you had a garmin GPS loaded with a topo map for example, you'd get all the land elevations and the outlines of the lakes..

I just tried on my phone's navioincs app and most of the smaller lakes north of Temagami "disappeared" as I zoomed in. So as mentioned you might just have your boats path marked on a blank screen.

Well I tried Navionics on my iPhone and it will show the satellite view map as Google maps except no depths for the lake. I used it like this last year on lake Wicksteed which isn't mapped for depths but we could still know where we were and track our way. It's kinda awsome cause I use it as a GPS for hunting too...

I'm thinking it would work the same on the boat Navionics...

Well I tried Navionics on my iPhone and it will show the satellite view map as Google maps except no depths for the lake. I used it like this last year on lake Wicksteed which isn't mapped for depths but we could still know where we were and track our way. It's kinda awsome cause I use it as a GPS for hunting too...

I'm thinking it would work the same on the boat Navionics...

Boat chartplotter/sonar doesn't have a data connection to DL satellite imagery.

Edited by BillM