Salting shiner and sucker minnows - favourite method?

JoshS

I've have just over a dozen big pike-size shiner and sucker minnows on their way out. I've done some research and there are so many different methods to salting. What's your favourite technique for salting big bait?

Also, does anyone know where to buy large frozen cisco's in the GTA? I used to buy bags in quebec but cannot find them anywhere! Hit a ton of supermarkets, fish stores and asked around... nothing yet...

Edited by JoshS

Place your bait in a zip lock bag and add course salt, kosher or sea salt preferred. Place in a cool area. In 24 hours pour off all the liquid that has been drawn out by the salt and replenish with more fresh salt. You cant use to much salt. Put in the fridge or freezer until ready to use. Thats it. Been doing it this way for years and it works good.

Place your bait in a zip lock bag and add course salt, kosher or sea salt preferred. Place in a cool area. In 24 hours pour off all the liquid that has been drawn out by the salt and replenish with more fresh salt. You cant use to much salt. Put in the fridge or freezer until ready to use. Thats it. Been doing it this way for years and it works good.

Thanks. Tried few like this last night and they're draining as we speak. Put them in a ziplock full of salt and hung outside with holes in the bottom to drain. I'm guessing when freezing, the salt prevents them from freezing completely and becoming mush when defrosting..

I was considering this method: http://www.lakemichiganangler.com/tips/general/how_to_make_salted_minnows.htm

But seems a little overkill.

I just put the frisky live minnows in a gallon ziplock with the course salt and into the fridge overnight. I separate into smaller batches to pop into the freezer.

The difference in what I do is I add granulated garlic and anise extract to the course salt mixture.

My next batch just might have some Gulp Alive juice as well.

A virtual "smorgasbord" of attractants. :tease::tease::tease::tease::tease::tease:

Thanks. Tried few like this last night and they're draining as we speak. Put them in a ziplock full of salt and hung outside with holes in the bottom to drain. I'm guessing when freezing, the salt prevents them from freezing completely and becoming mush when defrosting..

I was considering this method: http://www.lakemichiganangler.com/tips/general/how_to_make_salted_minnows.htm

But seems a little overkill.

I use this method and it works great , the only difference is that I put live minnows into the brine solution first . The minnows seem to cure a bit better when they are salted from "fresh" and they will last at least

a year in the freezer !

Also, does anyone know where to buy large frozen cisco's in the GTA? I used to buy bags in quebec but cannot find them anywhere! Hit a ton of supermarkets, fish stores and asked around... nothing yet...

I just use the frozen Portuguese sardines for pike, you can get them at most grocery stores (except Metro it seems).

Burt :)

thats how I always have done mine. Works great