Fly tying

Nightsky

I'm starting to tie my own flies for the next season, got the basic equipment to do so but I have a question : Where is the best place (online if possible) to buy all the materials? I've seen a couple sites but wondering which one is best price/quality and shipping rate.

Thanks a lot for the help!

I generally go looking for specific materials on line pertaining to certain fly patterns when I'm looking to buy so its all about who's got it and who doesn't. Lots of stuff out there and the prices are generally set by quality in material so I would just surf around until you find what it is you need. Always nice to have a fly shop a few minutes down the road though. :)

Personally I prefer to go to a local fly shop for the environment and wealth of knowledge but if you prefer to buy online I would highly recommend http://flymart.ca/ they have really high quality materials and great customer service.

Edit: I would also recommend a starter kit, Orvis has some nice ones for different types of flies.

Edited by catch and release

Look at DougSwisher.com . A very innovative tier and fisherman. Pioneered the no hackle dry flies and many other items. With his friened Carl Richards has written several books. Originally from Michigan now in Montana summers and Florida in the winter.

I haven't talked to him or tied in years but his business is where I would go if getting started in any type of fly fishing or tying again.

Flymart.ca is a great resource - Scott, the owner, is a top guy. I buy from him, local shops and across the border when there on business.

For starting out, Superfly do material only kits which might be of interest and Sail stock them so you can see what materials they contain and the flies you can make.

be careful, your wallet is going to be a lot lighter soon

there are basic materials that every tier should have, but that depends on what you're into tying....starter kits are alright but the ones I've seen I think you'd be further ahead to buy your own supplies, more for your money

instead of buying randomly to get started...i would make a list of 20 patterns you want to tie for next season...and then buy the materials required for those patterns

anothe vote for flymart, I think he is a board member here, i've bought stuff from him a few times, good prices

I've been looking at flymart.ca. So far it seems the best for what I saw, and this post confirms it! I already got a starter kit for Xmas from cabelas.com ( http://www.cabelas.com/tools-vises-cabelas-deluxe-tool-kit-case-1.shtml ) which is probably not the best, but definitely not the worst, I like it so far. I dont want to start with complicated stuff, mostly make myself some weedless pike fly for the opening season early May. Caught a 8.9lbs last year on flyrod and definitely want to do that again this year, with the self-satisfaction of tying them myself =) Thanks for your help everyone!

• 2 weeks later...

I've been tying flies for about 40 years and the thing that I have learned is the fact that you don't need to make many flies to catch fish. I fly fish for brook trout, pike, walleye, landlocked salmon and whitefish. The fly I mostly use for trout and whitefish is a size 8 or 10 mini-muddler tied dry. I use a dry fly hook. You will need a pair of mottled turkey quills and good quality deer body hair. The other fly that I use is a size 20 brown or black ant. A cheap hackle does fine for tying ants and some fur dubbing. When using fur dubbing, get Overton's fly tying wax. It will last for decades. You will most certainly tie a size 18 to size 14 mayfly....usually the Blue Dun with an olive body. You will need a decent quality dark blue dun hackle which is very hard to find......especially now with all the good hackles being bought up by companies selling feathers in the hair styling industry, fur dubbing and mallard flank feathers for wings.

For the pike flies, you will need a good variety of strips of rabbit skin with dyed fur which are easy to find and not expensive, very long deer tail hair of various colours and good solid thread. I like kevlar thread for the pike flies. Don't expect to catch many pike on the same fly....lol.

For streamers (I like size 6 to size 2), most of the stuff is inexpensive and easy to find except good quality hammered silver and gold metal tinsel....medium width.

I have never bought on line. I doubt I ever will because I want to see before I buy unless it's something inexpensive.

The best tying thread in my opinion is Danville's Monocord.

Anyway, don't buy too much stuff and get the best quality otherwise you just end up unsatisfied and not using it. After a while, you will keep your eyes open and you will find great stuff at great prices for fly tying just about anywhere. Don't overlook roadkill....lol.

Anyway, don't buy too much stuff and get the best quality otherwise you just end up unsatisfied and not using it. After a while, you will keep your eyes open and you will find great stuff at great prices for fly tying just about anywhere. Don't overlook roadkill....lol.

Can you tell me how to harvest skins from roadkill, I've thought of it but I wouldn't know where to begin lol

Oh, and I sent you a pm, nightsky

Road kill, if fresh is ok to work with. Things to look for are fox fur and fox tails, squirrel tails, partridge or pheasant breast feathers, pheasant tail feathers, crow wing quills (matched pairs), rabbit's feet (the underside of the rear feet of snowshoe hare is great wing material.

Road kill, if fresh is ok to work with. Things to look for are fox fur and fox tails, squirrel tails, partridge or pheasant breast feathers, pheasant tail feathers, crow wing quills (matched pairs), rabbit's feet (the underside of the rear feet of snowshoe hare is great wing material.

Haha, I know. I more meant how would I go about curing tails?

Thanks Dabluz for a great post! Its a rather large one to quote just to say thanks ;)

I've got a few fresh rabbit running around in the backyard all the time... Now if the dog can just catch one...

Edited by GBW