It's basically just Cut and Paste...Grin.

Garry2Rs

This winter I have become serious about turning my own rod handles.

I tried different colours and textures of cork rings, but soon wanted to cut and laminate some angles...However, chopping up cork and hardwood is an expensive way to make saw dust...Grin.

So...I bought some EVA foam for experiments.

EVAGrip003_zpsa603dfde.jpg

EVAGrip007_zpsa993d8b1.jpg

005-8_zpsf34c2d97.jpg

Garry2rs

What's wrong with Fire Engine Red? Or was it the black with a white stripe that bothered you? HAHAHA

Your right about the colours but the choices were limited.

Now that I have tried it out, and have a feel for the process, my next project will be laminated cork.

Looks like your on your way to a great hobby Garry.

Can that EVA foam,be used as a permanent handle grip? What glue/adheisive are you using to sacure it to the blank?

Good to hear from you again.

B

Edited by Misfish

To glue the pieces together before turning, and to attach the handles to the rod, I use a two part epoxy.

This epoxy is a slow cure paste type that is made for attaching cork, wood or EVA handles to rods.

You would have to cut them off to remove them once this stuff sets!

I did all my experimental cuts with a miter box and back-saw.

Having decided that this is an idea that I want to pursue, I have now aquired a table saw with a fine tooth blade.

To make repeatable accurate cuts easier, I built a sled for the saw.

A fringe benifit of this could be that I finally finish installing the laminate flooring, that Albert and I started about five years ago...HAHAHA.

I did all my experimental cuts with a miter box and back-saw.

Having decided that this is an idea that I want to pursue, I have now aquired a table saw with a fine tooth blade.

To make repeatable accurate cuts easier, I built a sled for the saw.

A fringe benifit of this could be that I finally finish installing the laminate flooring, that Albert and I started about five years ago...HAHAHA.

Garry,

You may want to stop by on your trek back from AZ, I have the perfect blade for doing what you are doing. It is called a triple chip. As well, if you are going to do a lot of repeated angle cuts, consider going to your local pawn shop and picking up a chop saw, (sliding compound miter may be the best)

Hi Albert;

I was leaning toward a sliding compound saw, until I read that to create a 4 inch ellipse you have to cut 2 X 2 stock at about 15 degrees. This can be set-up fairly easily by making a jig on a table saw sled, but I thought it might be awkward to do on the miter saw because the cut is 6 or more inches long...

There's also the quality issue...Since I didn't want to spend a lot of money, I felt that it was easier to make a cheap table saw cut straight than to tune in a cheap sliding saw.

I expect to be in Brantford for a couple of days starting April 6th.

Maybe we can get together.

Garry

There is a world-wide shortage of fine cork.

EVA grips are one answer to the problem.

There are also various colours and textures of processed /rubberized cork blocks and rings.

This is the direction I think that I want to go next.

One benefit of these materials, might be that they aren't slippery when wet...

Garry