Tips on pre-heating your tent?

Joeytier

I heard that mountain climbers use those aluminum foil survival bags, they get in one of those first then in the sleeping bag, aluminum is know as a very good thermal insulator, will keep your body temperature in I guess...maybe you should try and let us know how it worked, they're only a few bucks and I believe even Candian Tire has them...

If you have the time to build one, a quinzee would be a great option. Very warm and with a couple of candles lit, comfy. Very quiet inside as well. If you think this is something you'll be doing often (winter, shoulder seasons), I'd suggest investing in a wall tent with woodstove. The prices aren't that bad and downright luxurious if you have access to a good supply of standing deadwood. You'll need a very good sleeping bag (my preference is down all the way) however if you let the fire go out at night.

If you're out for several nights in a row you'll need some kind of heat source. After a while everything gets damp and loses its insulative value. A tent with a small wood stove would be the way to go. If it's just a 2 or 3 night trip then I'd sleep in a snow trench. It's much easier to build so you take less time and hopefully less sweat. I bring a good tent and if there's no chance of freezing rain or rain use the tent and the fly to line and cover the trench. Skiis and poles make good roof trusses which you cover with a tent fly. Throw a thin layer of snow on top of the fly for insulation. We cut snow blocks to block the open end of the trench. Stay dry and never wear your sleeping clothes for anything except sleeping. I've slept in -40C and it's tolerable which is a long way from comfortable. :)

Dan O.

Only had my buddies 1000 watt Honda so we didn't have enough power.

Need a 2000 watt job fer the espresso machine. ;)

I'm buying one this fall. :D

Now thats the Dave i know and like. Don't forget your walking cane.Just because we are trekking it through the bush, doesnt mean we cant be civilized :whistling:

Sure did Ben. :D

Might be making a new one this spring. ;)

Here you go.

http://www.trophy-clips.com/view_video.php?viewkey=3a2b5af89203c2b78c67

Thanks! I remember when you first posted that I thought it was really cool you camped out there. Looks like an awesome time and you've got a great video to remember that trip by. I hope you get the chance to make another this year. Good luck!