Any Tips for walleye Ice Fishing?

Alex416

Ive bagged a couple walleye during other seasons. I know how to get them to bite but this year will be the first time I go ice fishing. I have NO idea where to start.

If anyone has any sort of info(i know getting info from other fisherman is like milking a unicorn) it would be monstrously appreciated. The internet has failed me in the pastglare.gif(american fishermanblahblah1.gif)

Im not asking for your complete gear list or specific bait. Something like depth, time of day... You get the picture

Thanks

They also like minnows... sarcasm.gif

On any lake, I immediately look for transitions in the bottom structure. Fish the mornings and evenings in 10 to 20 feet of water wherever you can find : dropoffs, weeds, shoals, sunken islands, large shallow-flats near deep water. In my mind, I picture the fish moving in shallow during feeding hours; if you can intercept them, you'll likely catch a few.

Catching walleye through the ice is easy.... It's finding then that's the tricky part....

Watch other anglers... Go chat in some local shops... Chat with others back on shore... That's how you'll get good info...

As far as lures.... You can get 100 answers for good lures... They all work...

I like northland buckshot lures personally...

But any spoon and minnow set up should work...

Sharp hooks are key... With little ice rods your hook sets are weak... So I upgrade my hooks on my spoons...

Edited by Mike Rousseau

concentrate your times to 2 hours around sun up(7 am-9am) and 2 hours before sun down (4pm-6pm),not saying you won't catch outside this but it seems to be the most productive times. A simple minnow(shiner or dace)on a tip up near bottom works well or a fluttering spoon tipped with a whole or half minnow with a jigging motion also works well. Check your tip ups often to make sure minnows are alive and jig them a few times to get them moving. Also many times while checking lines i have had a walleye on the line,never seen the tip up move.

concentrate your times to 2 hours around sun up(7 am-9am) and 2 hours before sun down (4pm-6pm),not saying you won't catch outside this but it seems to be the most productive times. A simple minnow(shiner or dace)on a tip up near bottom works well or a fluttering spoon tipped with a whole or half minnow with a jigging motion also works well. Check your tip ups often to make sure minnows are alive and jig them a few times to get them moving. Also many times while checking lines i have had a walleye on the line,never seen the tip up move.

great info for the new blood ice fisherman... its nice when the knowledgeable guys share without the sarcasm first :thumbsup_anim: