Don't loose ice fishing rods down hole

Snowball

I came up with this idea a few years ago.

Build a 12" square tube structure made of 1/2 " Flowguard Cold CPVC. Glue all joints and secure to your rod with heavy duty cord. Your rod will go down the hole but the retainer won't. It is lightweight and very sturdy.

Regards,

Snowball

RodKeeperDevice-2005.jpg

If I leave the hut I open the bail, lol! I'd hate to come back and have the entire rig at the bottom of the lake.

Happened to me on nippissing last year! Ran to my tip up as the bells were goin off and when I got back to my hut my rod holder was upside down in the hole and my rod was no where to be found. Must have been a school of eyes that moved in.

If I leave the hut I open the bail, lol! I'd hate to come back and have the entire rig at the bottom of the lake.

yeah I hear ya ... should have done that, after sitting there for 2 hrs with no action I figured a one minute pee break nothing was going to happen .... :oops:

I just leave a 1x1 (or whatever...a stick works) across the middle of the hole, perpendicular to the rod and placed so that if a fish pulls the rod down it hits the stick. I have yet to lose a rod protected this way. Sometimes the rod will be down and the tip of it bent over into the water but the stick keeps the rod from going over.

Lost a brand new rod last weekend.. I noticed that it had fallen off its holder and was laying on it's side.. I start walking over to it and she just flopped into the hole right there in front of me! I dunno if this would be considered a fluke but the fish swam directly to my other rig down the shoreline.. Reeled my other rod up the hole and landed the fish too!!

Great idear!!

Lost a brand new rod last weekend.. I noticed that it had fallen off its holder and was laying on it's side.. I start walking over to it and she just flopped into the hole right there in front of me! I dunno if this would be considered a fluke but the fish swam directly to my other rig down the shoreline.. Reeled my other rod up the hole and landed the fish too!!

Great idear!!

Thats Crazy!

Remind's me of one time fishing the Kinzua many years ago......drilled a hole and caught some walleyes....but it was BITTER cold out there...so I poured a cup of coffee...however, I had my mittens on and the damn Stanley coffee cup slid out of my hand and down my leg until it found the only STUPID hole in the ice in MILES.....but about 20 minutes later I snagged it with my jigging Rapala...it was the "Catch of Day".... :clapping:

Now catching that STANLEY CUP is much harder than ANY fish if you guys have ever seen a Stanley Thermos Cup....

786.jpg