More Electronics Questions

SlowPoke

My mind is not made up yet, if someone knows of a comparable unit, chime in... you'll save me time searching.

If I go with Lowrance, I think this is the unit I'm looking for... LMS-525C dumb ass

High power - 4000p/500rms

Dual Freq. 200/50 (included)

480x480 Res.

External GPS Antenna (don't know if it's included)

Q. Would this be a good big lake/small lake unit?

Q. What should I know about mapping software? There are so many options and I don't want to blow a wad on "Hotmaps" if "Nav Chips" are more detailed/inclusive etc. I'll be fishing primarily in the areas Southern and Central Ontario.. Erie, Ontario, Nippissing, Simcoe, Kawarthas, St.Clair and anywhere in between.

Q. What mapping software is required to plan trips on the PC and upload to the Lowrance?

Q. What level of detail can I expect for bottom contour from the maps? Anybody have a screen shot of Lake Simcoe or something familier? I'm thinking fully zoomed.

Guest lundboy
My mind is not made up yet, if someone knows of a comparable unit, chime in... you'll save me time searching.

If I go with Lowrance, I think this is the unit I'm looking for... LMS-525C dumb ass

High power - 4000p/500rms

Dual Freq. 200/50 (included)

480x480 Res.

External GPS Antenna (don't know if it's included)

Q. Would this be a good big lake/small lake unit?

Q. What should I know about mapping software? There are so many options and I don't want to blow a wad on "Hotmaps" if "Nav Chips" are more detailed/inclusive etc. I'll be fishing primarily in the areas Southern and Central Ontario.. Erie, Ontario, Nippissing, Simcoe, Kawarthas, St.Clair and anywhere in between.

Q. What mapping software is required to plan trips on the PC and upload to the Lowrance?

Q. What level of detail can I expect for bottom contour from the maps? Anybody have a screen shot of Lake Simcoe or something familier? I'm thinking fully zoomed.

A1: Should be great for for big or small. It's dual frequency so you could (if you want) hook up the 50KHz transducer for deep deep water although absolutely no one at Lowrance will ever recommend it.

A2: I answered quite abit about mapping software in your other post. Great lakes definitely requires a Navionics Gold 901XL3 ($249cdn) which also includes all of the Great Lakes and Kawarthas, BUT NOT Nipissing! As for Navionics Hotmaps Premium 2007 Canada edition ($195cdn), you don't get great lakes. You get all Kawarthas (as well as BOQ, Simcoe and Nipissing) up to the great lakes entrances and a bunch of others across Canada 10,000 in all. If I were you I would get the Gold, and buy a paper map for Nipissing.

A3: You can download a PC data/route planner here for free from Lowrance: http://www.lowrance.com/Downloads/gdm/default.asp , and here's a simulator for a comparable unit http://www.lowrance.com/Downloads/Emulators/default.asp (wonder if HB gives you these?)

A4: Simcoe attached, not fully zoomed because all you would see is one contour and a depth number.

Edited by lundboy

I don't have time for all my questions lundboy, I'll get back to this thread later. Looking at the Nav maps, what about this one?

http://www.navionics.com/Charts.asp?Contin...p;ChartSizeID=8

The one you recommend appears to be the platinum US Great Lakes map

http://www.navionics.com/Charts.asp?Contin...p;ChartSizeID=6

Thanks, I'll be back...

-Brian

Guest lundboy
I don't have time for all my questions lundboy, I'll get back to this thread later. Looking at the Nav maps, what about this one?

http://www.navionics.com/Charts.asp?Contin...p;ChartSizeID=8

The one you recommend appears to be the platinum US Great Lakes map

http://www.navionics.com/Charts.asp?Contin...p;ChartSizeID=6

Thanks, I'll be back...

-Brian

Nope you want this one here.... http://www.navionics.com/Charts.asp?Contin...p;ChartSizeID=6

The first one you list I don't know enough about to recommend, and unless you are traveling to the east coast may hold little value. The platinum series I believe includes satellite image overlays and such, and is not supported in Lowrance units.

Edited by lundboy

A1: Should be great for for big or small. It's dual frequency so you could (if you want) hook up the 50KHz transducer for deep deep water although absolutely no one at Lowrance will ever recommend it.

I thought this was dual frequency built into the unit and transducer, switchable or perhaps automatic swithing depending on depth. Are you saying that I would need another transducer to run 50KHz and why wouldn't Lowrance recommend it?

A2: I answered quite abit about mapping software in your other post. Great lakes definitely requires a Navionics Gold 901XL3 ($249cdn) which also includes all of the Great Lakes and Kawarthas, BUT NOT Nipissing! As for Navionics Hotmaps Premium 2007 Canada edition ($195cdn), you don't get great lakes. You get all Kawarthas (as well as BOQ, Simcoe and Nipissing) up to the great lakes entrances and a bunch of others across Canada 10,000 in all. If I were you I would get the Gold, and buy a paper map for Nipissing.

The 901XL3 map appears to be a platinum chipif I'm reading the website correctly. There's no code under the Gold heading but the 901 shows up under the Platinum heading.

A3: You can download a PC data/route planner here for free from Lowrance: http://www.lowrance.com/Downloads/gdm/default.asp , and here's a simulator for a comparable unit http://www.lowrance.com/Downloads/Emulators/default.asp (wonder if HB gives you these?)

I see the benefit of the download rather han purchasing the MapCreate sofware. I can't see myself needing MapCreate but the download looks like it will come in handy for planning a trip. I also downloaded the emmulation software for an older unit LMS334... nice feature to test drive the unit. I wish the link for the 525 worked!

A4: Simcoe attached, not fully zoomed because all you would see is one contour and a depth number.

Thanks for posting that. I was wondering how tight the zoom was and if you could reasonably track a contour from the map. On the emmulator it wouldn't zoom in as much as I would like.

Thanks for your time lundboy - you've been very helpful.

-Brian

That is the exact unit I have on the boat. It comes with a transducer that is both 50 and 200. It also has a paddle wheel for tracking distance and speed. The speed function is a mystery to me because the GPS speed is what shows up on the screen when you are running. I think it is only for the distance counter. You will notice that the unit comes with 2 power leads and 2 fuses make sure you run them to a switched power source the circuits even unplugged will draw alittle current and can drain a battery during long term storage. The zoom level on the unit zooms in closer than you need it will zoom in so close you can see only 1 or 2 depth reference numbers and that does not give you enough reference to see were you are in relation to the area you are fishing. The navionic chip here in the states gives a few gradiant line but they were mostly drawn with sounded measurements meaning you will see alot of numbers scattered around that point you in the direction of the water depth. Gradiant line maps on an electronic plotter are very confusing and clutter up the screen with to many lines and distract you from seeing nav aids. I have the 99.99 dollar map that is the base unit that has all of the US on it it has more than enough detail for me to safely navigate the area that I cruise in. Since I am not looking for roads and 3D pictures of marinas I feel the platinum is a waste of money. The Gold fishing card might be nice but if a fishing spot is marked for everyone to see how long do you think it will be any good??? I prefer to look over the maps and find my own fishing spots. Lastly do a serch for TIGER GPS on the internet they had the unit 50 dollars cheaper and free shipping than anywere else. I am not sure of the Canadian shipping thingy so ask them all of the questions before you order to avoid any suprise charges.

Art

Guest lundboy
Thanks for your time lundboy - you've been very helpful.

-Brian

Q1b:I thought this was dual frequency built into the unit and transducer, switchable or perhaps automatic swithing depending on depth. Are you saying that I would need another transducer to run 50KHz and why wouldn't Lowrance recommend it?

A1b:You are correct according to the manual for the 525cDF: A dual-frequency Skimmer® transducer with built-in temperature sensor is packed with the LMS-525cDF. It has 35°/12° cone angles. Boy how things have changed with Lowrance in the last year. When I got my LMS-332c (I wanted a LMS-337c dumb ass) it was not available in Canada, because Lowrance said that the 50 KHz transducer is no good for freshwater, too narrow a beam and lower detail. And you had to buy the 50 KHz transducer separate, it only shipped with a 400KHz. I wonder if the LMS-525cDF is available here? Lebaron only lists the 520c (but this doesn't mean another dealer doesn't have it). BTW if you are in the GTA, Lowrance is on Matheson Blvd. east of Dixie, I have been in there a bit and they are quite helpful.

Q2b:The 901XL3 map appears to be a platinum chipif I'm reading the website correctly. There's no code under the Gold heading but the 901 shows up under the Platinum heading.

A2b: You are absolutely right Slowpoke! They have retired the Gold 901 (that I have). I'm not sure what the replacement is. Give Navionics a quick call to see if it is replaced by 14XG GR LAKES & MARITIMES: Entire Great Lakes, St Lawrence and the Canadian Maritimes, including Lake of the Woods, Rainy Lake, Lake Champlain, Trent Severn Waterway, Ottawa River, Rideau Waterway and the Finger Lake. You definitly do not want a Platinum, they don't work in Lowrance.

Q3b:I see the benefit of the download rather han purchasing the MapCreate sofware. I can't see myself needing MapCreate but the download looks like it will come in handy for planning a trip. I also downloaded the emmulation software for an older unit LMS334... nice feature to test drive the unit. I wish the link for the 525 worked!

A3b: I use this free software quite a bit. I use it to enter in coordinates off of paper (real) charts, and then save the file on a spare SD chip then load them up in the unit. Works great.

As a side note, If you are seriously looking at a GPS/Sonar, the LowranceNet that ships with these colour units ,also allows you to hook up multiple temp sensors, multi-function gauges, and a fuel flow sensor that analyzes your fuel mileage and usage. They are nice toys, and they all hook-up to the network backbone. http://www.lowrance.com/Products/Marine/Lo..._Advantages.asp

Edited by lundboy

Guest lundboy
That is the exact unit I have on the boat. It comes with a transducer that is both 50 and 200. It also has a paddle wheel for tracking distance and speed. The speed function is a mystery to me because the GPS speed is what shows up on the screen when you are running. I think it is only for the distance counter. You will notice that the unit comes with 2 power leads and 2 fuses make sure you run them to a switched power source the circuits even unplugged will draw alittle current and can drain a battery during long term storage. The zoom level on the unit zooms in closer than you need it will zoom in so close you can see only 1 or 2 depth reference numbers and that does not give you enough reference to see were you are in relation to the area you are fishing. The navionic chip here in the states gives a few gradiant line but they were mostly drawn with sounded measurements meaning you will see alot of numbers scattered around that point you in the direction of the water depth. Gradiant line maps on an electronic plotter are very confusing and clutter up the screen with to many lines and distract you from seeing nav aids. I have the 99.99 dollar map that is the base unit that has all of the US on it it has more than enough detail for me to safely navigate the area that I cruise in. Since I am not looking for roads and 3D pictures of marinas I feel the platinum is a waste of money. The Gold fishing card might be nice but if a fishing spot is marked for everyone to see how long do you think it will be any good??? I prefer to look over the maps and find my own fishing spots. Lastly do a serch for TIGER GPS on the internet they had the unit 50 dollars cheaper and free shipping than anywere else. I am not sure of the Canadian shipping thingy so ask them all of the questions before you order to avoid any suprise charges.

Art

The Gold chips or the Hotmaps here do not have any fishing spots on them except for the ones I've added ;). The Gold chips are pretty well direct scans of the hydrographic charts published by Canada Fisheries and oceans (and resized /scaled and aligned of course)

Edited by lundboy

BTW if you are in the GTA, Lowrance is on Matheson Blvd. east of Dixie, I have been in there a bit and they are quite helpful.

Your right about the Lowrance service lundboy, I've been in there myself and they go outta their way to help a customer and will stand at the counter for as long as it takes.

They'll also install any product updates available free of charge while you wait......at least they did for me.