Keeping bait on bottom

chris f.

Hey all, i hope everyone has had a great holiday so far!!! :santa: So I, or i should say the lower trent has been graced with ice... i have 5 inches of decent ice, 20-30 feet out off my dock. got a few tip up's out late this afternoon and going back out jigging in a bit. Now, being new to the trent, the current is kind of tripping me out a bit. I know what it was like in the summer, and last winter the river didn't freeze over completely. Currently it's frozen over from shore to shore with no visible open spots. Any tips on keeping your bait on bottom without using 5 lbs of sinkers, or is that about it? :Gonefishing:

Hey ... thanks for the tips.. just got in from jigging, and figured out 3 way is the only way to get near vertical with this current. i have no way of judging how fast the current is, but i say its pretty fast.. i can hear the flow from the dam a few miles away. 1 1/2 oz jig on 3 way with i dunno.. 5 or 6 sinkers and the line was still almost sideways. kind of freaks me out thinking how fast the current is under our feet at any given time :blink:

Edited by Trent River Fishin'

Hey all, i hope everyone has had a great holiday so far!!! :santa: So I, or i should say the lower trent has been graced with ice... i have 5 inches of decent ice, 20-30 feet out off my dock. got a few tip up's out late this afternoon and going back out jigging in a bit. Now, being new to the trent, the current is kind of tripping me out a bit. I know what it was like in the summer, and last winter the river didn't freeze over completely. Currently it's frozen over from shore to shore with no visible open spots. Any tips on keeping your bait on bottom without using 5 lbs of sinkers, or is that about it? :Gonefishing:

As far as lures

Use heavy compact baits... Like buckshots... Swedish pimples.... Deadly Dick's...

I can maintain bottom contact in 30-50 feet with about a 1mph current... With a 3/4-1oz jigging spoon....

For tip ups... A heavy sinker is the only way to go... Keep in mind your weight will swing back after you let out your line.... So you should adjust several times to be more vertical...

Have you seen anyone else out there fishing??

I'm saying that if you have that much current that your bait is sideways---you need to use extreme caution

Also if there's a dam upstream---water levels may fluctuate---not a good recipe for ice

If you fall through in current without a floater suit-----and if you go under the ice---that current will take you away from the hole

River or current ice is not constant----one day it's ok---another it's not

If it was me---I'd find another spot

Have you seen anyone else out there fishing??

I'm saying that if you have that much current that your bait is sideways---you need to use extreme caution

Also if there's a dam upstream---water levels may fluctuate---not a good recipe for ice

If you fall through in current without a floater suit-----and if you go under the ice---that current will take you away from the hole

River or current ice is not constant----one day it's ok---another it's not

If it was me---I'd find another spot

Or at least a rope to a tree or something solid!Upstream of course.

There's a couple of die hard steel headers on a river near me that are in their 60's that fish the ice above the fast current ALL winter,both tied to trees. The ice can range from 1'-1" with no warning. Their advice,not for the younger man and always fish with a buddy. Imagine?lol.

Morning guys.. :sleeping_02: ya the spot i finally picked is far enough away from the main channel in a cove that the current isn't that bad.. our section of the rive is completely frozen over shore to shore and 50 feet out there is 5-7"

i won't venture out too much father as I do have the rope system in place, and always have the float/life suit on while on the ice. there are a few die hards with their huts out about a mile down from me on a nice inside bend where the curent isn't an issue at all.

i never ice fish alone and sefety is always first over a few bites. i'm lucky in my area, i can get instant updates on flow and water levels from Quinte Prism Program. they usually update well in advance as to adjusting lvl's and flow. but always be safe is the main thing.

thanks again for the tips.

What????

You get safe ice with 7mph current???

And maintain bottom contact with a 5/8 jig????

i was thinking the same thing.. i know that the current here is quick but no where near 7mph... i'm heading up to the dam today to just take a look around, but as far as it goes, no change in flow expected over the next few days so i hope this cold weather takes hold and freezes eveything really well

as mentioned before, be really careful on the ice when current is involved. It does all sorts of funny things to the ice. Nothing will scare the ****

outta you faster then a good old fashioned ice drop!!!!

lol... ya, i was jigging today and the water all of a sudden went down 3" below the bottom of my hole... got off the ice quick... but it never dropped.. water is back to normal now. :clapping: apparently one of the dams down river got plugged up with ice and let go by its self

Edited by Trent River Fishin'