Spinal stenosis

tomO

Well after battling back problems for 30 years it's finally got me down . I had to stop working on the 14th of this month and am currently waiting for surgery on jan. 9th. They will preform a laminectomy on my lower back. I was just curious if anyone on the board has had one and how they fared. Thx.

It depends on the type of stenosis. I suffer from a congenital scoliosis of the spinal cord. Surgeries are the only reason I can still walk and have an active life. Albeit with some difficulty, as the damage to the nerves is beyond repair. The best thing about the surgeries is that they removed the pain. Sadly the surgery is no cure for the damage done. It merely delays or stops further damage to the spinal cord.

I hope the surgery helps.

My Mother in law has it..

She had 2 vertibrae in her back fused and 2 rods put in.

She needed to take time off work until the surgery was completed but now some 6 years later she's still working as a nurse and says although its not 100% better its 80-90% better.

I also have been diagnosed with Spinal Stenosis. Last year I had a really rough time with Sciatic pain and couldn't walk without crutches. They ran tests on me and found Spinal stenosis due to Spinal Arthritis. Surgery was not recommended because the pain was becoming more manageable as time went by and the risks of the surgery were too high at the time.

I still don't feel the same as I did before all this happened and it's been over a year now.

Tom.

It really started bothering me last year at this time. My osteopath that I've been going to for years just can't relieve the pain any more, so mri, rehab, epidural shots directly into the vertibrae which helped for a short while, I had 3 done and those hurt pretty bad. Then on to the pain pills 3 different strenghths, finally I woke up one morning and could hardly get from the bed to the easy chair. I was treating the pain but the body just couldn't handle it anymore so surgery is all that is left. The doc seems to think it wll be just fine a 30 minute operation and a month off work no restrictions. We'll see.

I have it and we'll throw in a few mild to moderate herniated disks as well. So far,one is not as bad as the rest of you guys, but I occasionally have some very painful episodes. Have to really be careful. Can't stand for long periods of time. I had the injections into my spine. First one did nothing, but the second one must have done the trick. Been pretty good for a whole now (knocking on wood).

Hope your surgery goes great and offers the relief you're looking for.

here its stennosssis and herniated nu.5. no surgery . docs wanna shelve you if your over 45 in ontario. had all the epidurals 3 sets,flacett injections,and such. shacky legs,cramps and walkless days. after 14 years now my r.hips wore out. if they have the technology and theres no permanent nerve damage. go for it.