Quinte in Febuary

Muskieman

Usually only takes 1 hour. Not a boring drive at all. Oshawa to Ottawa via 401/416 can be boring. I used to get very bored in the stretch from Kingston to Ottawa. However, having driven this route several times in the past few months, I've gotten used to it and actually prefer it now over taking highway 7.

Highway 7 route is 50km or so shorter, but much slower speed limit and lots of stops. Not to mention a tonne of cops waiting to pull you over. 120km or even more seems tolerated on the 401, whereas on an 80km/h road, they can easily nail you for 20km/h over. Worse yet is if you're going 90km/h and hit a 60km/h zone without noticing..happens all the time to people, especially at night.

I've never encountered traffic going from Oshawa to Belleville.

by mid-feb the fish have moved into hay-bay on the south and upto belleville, trenton areas. also areas around napanee just watch the ice

use the same stuff you have for nipissing you'll do fine.

as for the drive no biggie have made oshawa to picton in a hour zero traffic

Edited by ecmilley

Randy... I'm in Bowmanville and used to guide on Quinte... the drive is EASY. Road conditions are the thing you need to focus on, not the traffic. The most annoying part are those MORON truckers that take 10 mins to "pass" another truck (because it goes down to 2 lanes east of Cobourg)!!

As for where to go, that all changes from week to week or even day to day.

PM me a little bit before your trip and I'll try and give you some tips as to where the "hot" bite is.

Edited by Stoty

How much jet fuel did you go through?

I was thinking the SAME thing... lol

Maybe set your cruise to 180 km/h and hope for the best! LOL

about 1/2 a tank on a wing and a prayer and didn't see no radar and i w as in my sporty car my truck is governed to 160

We have been doing an annual trip to Quinte for the past 4 years right around family day long weekend. As many have already said, ice can be really sketchy depending on the area you're fishing. We've had success, but not a lot of it, fishing the telegraph narrows, and big bay.

This year We are trying to hit first ice fishing hay bay area, which I've also heard was really good. Hopefully there's ice jan 18 weekend. I'll post results after the trip (all depends on ice conditions) it Might help your decision in Feb.