Sub Zero Musky?

mike rousseau

I think I'm gunna give musky a shot this week before it closes....

I never really target musky this late in the season.... Usually all my energy this time of year goes into walleye fishing..... Now I KNOW a few spots that are holding musky.... I'm just not sure how to get em to bite this late in the year...

I've got under 40 degree water temps....

Now I know most say go big... But I've boated 10 nice musky in the last few weeks while trolling 3.5 inch baits for walleye.... So this is where I second guess what I've read....

Anyways...

I was thinking trolling 10-14 inch baits at around 2.5 mph....

And/or

Jig some plastics....

Are there any tips/tricks you guys feel like sharing....?

Thanks

Mike...

I'd hit those good spots Mike and start big & slow and see what happens. You don't always need real big in cold water but it's a good starting point.

Change things up and see what pattern you come up with.

And if I hadn't left my Christmas shopping so darned late I'd come join you :lol:

Mike down here our Muskie love small baits all year long but this time of year once the water temperature is below 40° i change my program totally I only run 10 inch baits and speeds of 2 miles an hour to 2.8 mile hour max.

Don't be afraid to try jigging bulldogs or Bondy Baits they are awesome also I know fish still bite on small stuff like you said 3 1/2 inches but majority of the big fish will eat large slow-moving easy meals as they are only trying to fatten up at this time of year they will not waste a lot Of energy chasing down meal giver Hell there I can't wait for the reports good luck.

personally, when the water gets real cold I like to jig big plastics in deep water. Trolling/banging bottom is just too frustrating for me...I always second guess whether my lure is clean so I'm forever checking it. I jig with a big bait where the hooks are on top so no fouling issues. Plus, you can band bottom continually, stirring up a bit of a ruckus.

I have the following to try jigging... Bondy bait... Bulldogs.... Tubes... Giant kalins.... And a fuzzy duzzit..... I was gunna lean on the bondy bait for jigging....

As far as trolling... Ill probably bounce between stalkers, believers and jakes and 13 inch grandmas.... Lures I trust and that have out performed in most situations.... I'm hoping to get 1 or 2 people to join me for the extra lines for finding the pattern.....