2013 ice fishing

Roy

I didn't hit the ice one time last season. This year I promised myself that I'd get out as often as I could if the ice is safe enough to withstand my heavy, muscular body. Last week I went through what I thought I had as ice fishing gear...not a lot. :( I have two manual augers but I'm sure I can rub the blade edges and not even scratch the skin. I won't change the blades cause there's always that angle thing and the blades are almost as much as a new auger. As for tipups, we're allowed 10 here, I either lost them or, at least I can't find them. I ordered a few from a new guy on the block here. Jigerr Jigging Sticks. Actually, it was a recommendation from TJ and so I looked at the site and the stuff looks great...good price too. I just need to ice a few fish this winter. I'm certainly not hardcore on the ice thing but I really enjoy it. Take look at the Jigerrs in announcements and tell me what you guys think. Thanks for any and all advice.

If you think your blades are toast... Then you have nothing to loose.... Just take a file and freshen up the edges.... If it works great... If not then buy new blades...

10 tip ups.... That's crazy.... I gotta start ice fishing Quebec... We only get 2 lines here period..... And 5 tip ups and 3 rods in NY state....

If you think your blades are toast... Then you have nothing to loose.... Just take a file and freshen up the edges.... If it works great... If not then buy new blades...

10 tip ups.... That's crazy.... I gotta start ice fishing Quebec... We only get 2 lines here period..... And 5 tip ups and 3 rods in NY state....

Thats why Roys so lean and muscular, lookin after 10 tip-ups must be quite a chore, when you run into a school of fish

I replace the blades on my manual auger every year, whether they need them or not. They're not expensive. You can get a set for pretty much any auger for less than $30. There is nothing worse than an auger that won't cut....just get the new blades. You won't regret it!

S.

Roy, those Jigerr's look pretty slick... Compact, light weight, well designed & doesn't require a base, just a stick to hook them up with the strap provided... If I was to buy one of those, I'd probably rigged them with a small reel with a drag system so that when they're hung on the stick, enables me to set the drag for added sensitivity :) Too many times I've seen a tipup go down, run to it and when you get there fish is gone because too much resistance.

As for your augers, give the blades a good refresh with a hand file making sure you keep the same angle on the blade. I've done this a few times myself but when they just don't cut right, replacing the blades was the solution to this problem.

Good luck with your hard water season!

TJunkie