Balsam launches

Rizzo

I went to Balsam on Monday, and we managed one 40'ish inch musky jigging in 30 fow. That day, the free launch over by the canal to Mitchell was pretty icy. We broke through close to an inch of ice for around 50 feet to reach open water. Tuesday was warm, but today has been below zero all day. Anyone have a suggestion for a launch onto Balsam on the west side of the lake? I would assume the Prov. Park has locked gates. I called Balsam Lake trailer park but got no answer. It also appears to be on the river so not sure if it would be any better. Any thoughts?

I went to Balsam on Monday, and we managed one 40'ish inch musky jigging in 30 fow. That day, the free launch over by the canal to Mitchell was pretty icy. We broke through close to an inch of ice for around 50 feet to reach open water. Tuesday was warm, but today has been below zero all day. Anyone have a suggestion for a launch onto Balsam on the west side of the lake? I would assume the Prov. Park has locked gates. I called Balsam Lake trailer park but got no answer. It also appears to be on the river so not sure if it would be any better. Any thoughts?

To think,us river guys just park and walk. :sarcasm:

you can have it Brian! If I'm not the only boat on Balsam tomorrow I'll eat my hat. Never river fished, but rumour has it there is often company. As far as Coboconk, never tried it. I try to stick to the west shore for travel reasons, but maybe Coboconk isn't that much further

I'm thinking about giving the walleye a break and trying to get another day of musky in... Luckily the current in the St.Lawrence keeps a few launches open pretty much year round....

You could always do a road trip to a river musky fishery like the Larry or Ottawa....

Edited by fishermccann