Kill Switch Safety tether

camillj

Without causing any hard feelings, I would say not wearing it demonstrates a lack of common sense. :whistling:

Ask Dan how many times he's been in the water. I think that demonstrates common sense more then anything :)

Edited by BillM

If I trolled alone Id have it on 100% so I could get back in,if my boat used the shifter for throttle same thing,to get back in and not get cut to shreds when it starts running circles.I worry alot more about falling in cold water while fishing and wear a suit or pfd then getting thrown from the boat. I always hooked up when running say low 80's + but 60-70 something not usually,with a foot throttle its down to idle right away if you get tossed. Short of hitting a log or rock in average conditions it would take bad driving or stupidness to get thrown.

common sense is dictated by changing conditions not inflexible statements. There are many cases where a tether is not needed or wanted. You can be trolling baits and you shut down the motor every time you get out of the seat? Running a no wake zone and standing to see wood or channel markers.

Art

Thanks for all the feedback. Keep it coming - especially if you have any experience with any of the 'wireless' options.

My tether came 'stock' with the boat ... 197 with Yammy 150 ... but the tether is only about 10" long and totally dangerous imho considering I am MOSTLY standing with one hand on the the throttle and one hand on the wheel at all times ... if I inadvertantly killed the engine by reaching for something I think it would be worse (but obviously I am still rationalizing or I wouldn't have brought it up here) ... I am going ask my fellas at the Marina where I bought the boat what the Standard Operating procedure is for my boat (which was designed to for 'big water')... personally I kinda like the submersion technology to avoid false engine kills.

In the video I saw with the nasty accident, the guy didnt go overboard but was bashed around pretty badly... and because my boat will stay pretty much at the RPM you set it - it could be just as dangerous to others as to myself if I was knocked down/out... of course because I am an old fart and don't get my jollies doing any 'silly' driving I am rarely bouncing around too much... but ya know ...there is a reason they call em 'accidents'

Edited by camillj

The wireless MOB is really nice if you have others on the boat or areas where you can't see everyone. I am talking boats you overnight on with a lower deck or galley ect. They will shut down the boat if someone falls out in a blind spot while you are running the boat. It is important to have them put in a bypass in case one of the senders malfunction. We were out once getting ready to ski when we went to start the boat it wouldn't start. We looked all over the boat for the issue when we finally figured out the skier had the wrong vest on it was one with the sensor on it. The issues of them are Batteries to replace, false trips in the rain and no protection if you are tossed around in the boat but not over board.

Art

The older/long time members know this story. Hope it helps save.

The year was 2002 I think :whistling: . I had bought my first, new tinny,and was putting my 1978, 20 hp Johnson motor on it. The motor was on a 1969 traveler faberglass run about (CUCUMBER GREEN). Not knowing, when a motor is on a steering boat,the movement of the steering is loose.I attached this motor to my tinny and it was now a tiller. it was always a tiller,but rigged it so it was a steering motor (wait,ENGINE)Feeling good Roy/Paul :lol: .

My first outing was out on Little lake here in Barrie for some spring crappie. Today these tiller motors come with a kill tether,MINE DID NOT.

I was moving from spot to spot all morning long.All was well. Then this happen.

I was at full speed, when all of a sudden, a simple pack of smokes started to fly off the bench. I reached for them and YEP,the tiller swings to the left,I go right, and over board I go. Wearing long johns and heavy cotton track pants,a t-shirt and wool pullover.

Heres where someone was watching over me.

:angel:

When I went in,I seen everything. I seen bubbles,the boat go by. When I came to the surface,I still had my glasses on :w00t: . Im in shock at first,but regained myself pretty quick,knowing Im in trouble. Treading water was pretty tough with all that cloths,but I wasnt going down. There was another boat out there,and they came over as fast as they could. By the time they got to me,my boat had circled,and came right back to me :angel: . I reached and grabbed that hull with all my might,probly 3-4 trys. Once I did get a hold of it,I felt safe,and I never thanked the guy above more then I did then.

That was some real scary stuff.

Funny,when my brothers and sister were wee ones,my pop always made sure out PFD,s were on.Think I would of learned their not seat cushons.

Guess when we get older,we think we know better.

When I got my bass boat,it had a tether.

I NEVER, EVER,DID NOT HAVE IT NOT ATTACHED TO MY PFD.

LESSON LEARNED.

Glad Im around to share. :good:

PS,,,,,,,,,,,

I do believe, she was watching over me,,,,,,,,,,,,Grandma :angel:

Edited by Misfish

Last summer, I was in my 10' Jon boat trolling for lakers (not using the tether). The elevated seat I was sitting on broke. It felt like slow motion, but as I fell backwards, it seemed there was 2 options- try to stay in the boat and risk dumping the boat, or flop into the water

I flopped into the water and managed to grab the gunnel. No problem except for being soaked.

I could have fell into the prop, or fell into the water and watched the boat motor away.

It was a good story when I came in soaking wet, family and friends had a good laugh

Edited by chris.brock