A few Kawartha Fish

Gregoire

I got a chance to fish the Kawartha's this weekend with cowanjo. Initially the plan was to fish Saturday and Sunday, but coaching obligations and the honey do list got in the way. Initially I thought that I would not be able to make it up on Saturday before sundown on Saturday, but I huffed it up and got their by 4. By 4:22 we had launched and by 4:30 we were on our spot. After casting the first spot it was starting to get dark, but we decided to hit one more spot right after sundown. It was a good plan as John got a good hit on a large piece of rubber. When I was netting the fish a hook from the lure got hung up on the net, and we were both moving quickly to get her free. I but the eye of the hook, but the hook did not come free. I seemed like the fish was out of the water for a long time, but was probably only 30 seconds. John saw an opening and cut in a few more places and the fish was free and in the water. While John was cutting the hooks he let the net lower a bit into the water. Upon entering the water the fish took a breath and jumped clean out of the net. Our worries about her releasing were exaggerated, but we did not get a pic. Too bad as this was the biggest Kawartha fish I had seen this year. I am guessing 47+ inches and fairly fat.

After that it was getting dark so we decided to call it a night. We ran back to the launch and were back in the warmth of the cottage just after 5.

The next day the plan was to get up early and hit the fish at sunrise. As it turned out we both slept in a bit. We still made it on the water by 8 or so. We fished hard, casting and trolling. At one point John was pulling up his trolling lure to clean it, but got the hooks caught deep on some rope. While we stopped the boat so John could free his lure I grabbed my jerkbait rod and started casting. After a few casts I had a solid strike. It turned out to be only a mid 30's fish, but was nice and fat, and was the only fish of the day.

BA71A893-887C-44BB-8067-E54E2CC769AA-329-000000460929F947.jpg

Overall we fished for an hour for one big fish on Saturday, and fished for most of the day on Sunday for one fish. Not a bad weekend, especially since it may be the last time I head out this year.

Nice guys I do hope to get up there next season and you guys can make the trip here lets hope life away from musky fishing is more stable to get these trips in.

That would be great Mike. It would be great to fish with you. I would really love to wet at line in the fish factory that is St. Claire. I