Fly fishing

canada414

Hey fellow OFNers

Each year to expand my fishing life and try something new!

This year I would like to try fly fishing! I am probably going on a trip to newfoundland which will present many opportunities along the way.

So as a complete beginner to fly fishing what do I need to know :P

A few things:

I'm a interested in picking up a used decent fly rod/ kit and am willing to pay well for it, something good for a beginner.

Second I would like a good area to start fishing I live near Hamilton but am more then happy to drive an hour or so, somewhere I could pick up a few trout of sometype,

Last, for what I can think of if anyone is willing to teach me :D I would greatly appreciate it! I know spring is a long ways away spring will be here before we know it!

Thanks so much for any advice you can give me!

-Lukas!

Best thing a newbie fly fisherman can do is hire a guide.. He'll teach you how to rig, what to fish, how to fish, and give you a little insight into the local trout population.

Money well spent.

Yep. Spend a day with a guide based out of Wilson's fly shop in Fergus. Lots of great resident trout water.

Best thing a newbie fly fisherman can do is hire a guide.. He'll teach you how to rig, what to fish, how to fish, and give you a little insight into the local trout population.

Money well spent.

Bill ,with the step by step you tube videos,he could probably learn how to cast some what?,I can get the line out there as well,I think the presentation and then some, would be highly beneficial from a guide. We all have to at least get the line out there than the teaching.

Go for the guide. Its what I'll be doing this year. I've tried time after time and just can't seem to get it down. Having someone there to tell you if you are doing things correctly is an invaluable resource. Plus also I can only imagine actually catching fish will make it seem that much more woth it. Good luck.

I'll second the guide recommendation, I've met Ken's family and they're great people but I would also highly, highly recommend Graham Bristow. For a good rod at good price I'd recommend to keep watching the classifieds, they aren't too hard to find. And of course I'm always open to teach you the basics. thumbsup_anim.gif

I'll second the guide recommendation, I've met Ken's family and they're great people but I would also highly, highly recommend Graham Bristow. For a good rod at good price I'd recommend to keep watching the classifieds, they aren't too hard to find. And of course I'm always open to teach you the basics. thumbsup_anim.gif

How about the wallis cast some day?

Grandriver Troutfitters out of Fergus does beginner classes and guides. I have learned from Ken and Larry at Troutfitters both are excellent.

Guides and classes are invaluable as there is nothing better than being able to ask questions and get instant feedback.