Farm raised trout roe

misfish

For those that use this type of roe,do you find it to work as well as wild roe?

Is there any difference?

Curious to know.

IMO,it seems more of an ethical way, of getting roe to me,as I C&R .

Roe is roe Brian and buying is a good option from reputable sources.

Look here, close to home for you and he has a great reputation for prompt delivery.

http://www.fishheadscanada.net/

As long as you can find roe that isn't cured, its (for the most part) all the same stuff.

I haven't had any roe in the fridge for a couple weeks now, I thought it would be tougher than it is.

With beads, worms, bugs, jigs, etc all available in a million varieties I'm finding less of a use for roe. That said, I've also been trying to make the sport more challenging by taking up swinging flies.

Some days I want nothing more than to tie up a million bags, sling them all day and bring a parade to the bank. Other days I'm perfectly content washing spey flies.

With beads

I was reading a thread about them beads on another board. I have just gotten into them,but that thread has me thinking. I,m sure you know the one.

Yes there are lots of other alternatives which I am aware of. Always trying to improve my confidence on them.

I just got the hang of the pin,moving on to the spey flie fishing,well,I have to do more research on it.

I have not used roe in a few years for steelhead, I have definitely caught less with artificials but in my limited time on the water (family takes a lot of my time now) I have had fun learning new techniques and numbers have never really mattered to me.

My understanding is that roe MUST be cured if it's to be sold. Pls correct me if I'm wrong.

I believe you're correct, but there are many different levels of "cured".

If Pautzke or the likes has touched the eggs, I don't want them.

You're looking for the law to make sense??? Real optimist, eh??rolleyes.gif

LOL! hey tomorrow I'm getting half a pound of roe from DOS uncured, from what I've read I don't think I'm going to cure it but is there anything else I should do to it beforehand? Also, how long will uncured roe last in the freezer? Thanks.

Brian, over the years I’ve used roe that was uncured and a bunch that were cured all sorts of ways (either from a tackle shop, hatchery, trout pond, myself or bought from an online retailer). Recently my views on cured VS uncured have changed a little, and even my views on which types of cures to use have changed.

All I will say is you shouldn’t be afraid to use eggs that have been cured (if you decide to go this route). I’ve had success with loose eggs purchased from tackle shops and trout farms in the past (from what I can tell they were cured in a salt brine solution). On my recent trip out west, we had success with some skein that we purchased online from the US that were heavily cured (in something like ProCure or Pautzke) and apparently were outside of a fridge for quite some time (while they were held at customs). The eggs were by-products of a salmon processing plant and cured before they were shipped. We tried it out on stretches of river that didn’t have a bait ban and it worked - I was impressed with the results to say the least.

If you have any qualms about harvesting fish, hit up a fish cleaning station at a harbour popular with salmon fishermen. From August through till October, you can get ample stock to last you through the season for free. A little late now if you haven’t done it already, but it’s just something to think about for next season.

The best brown eggs used to be sold by Primrose Trout Farm. They were $5 for a little jar (really little) and they were not cured but immersed in mineral oil. They really worked not only as eggs by also the oil they were soaked in was excellent for dipping you yarn flies and glo bugs in. She would never tell me what brand of mineral oil but whatever it was it only carried the roe scent, nothing else was detectable. It was probably medical grade mineral oil available from pharmacies.