migratory brown trout

northernpike56

Hey guys,

Me and Chris (Christopher K) went fishing at a local reservoir for some pike/bass/panfish today (skunked, except for a pike that pulled my float down for a few seconds), and then we checked out a place along the Lake O shoreline near Hamilton for brown trout. We saw evidence of them all over- a few dead ones, as well as one jump. However, we couldn't get anything to bite. Chris might have had one on, but it was hard to tell if it was weeds or not.

The lures we were using were little cleos 2/5 oz, krocodile spoons, mepps #4 spinners, and little minnows under a float. Are these good lure choices? Are there any other types of lures we should have been trying? Any specific color patterns? Retreieve methods? anything you can think of, cause we must have been doing something wrong.

thanks,

Matt.

Browns dont die after spawning, so i think your browns were half dead salmon that were too far gone to eat. Or, they saw you standing there . Trout are spooky. Just cuz they dont swim away doesnt mean they're not spooked.

Browns dont die after spawning, so i think your browns were half dead salmon that were too far gone to eat. Or, they saw you standing there . Trout are spooky. Just cuz they dont swim away doesnt mean they're not spooked.

Nope, definitely trout. There were also a bunch of salmon but the trout were fresh, could still see the colours on them.

Virtually all roe anglers will kill a female brown for their roe and many will just dump the carcass. Could be that. Browns are very fond of small thin twitch baits like small Rapala X Raps, Yozuri Hardcores and 3D Minnows, Lucky Craft Pointers and jointed Rebels and Rapalas

Virtually all roe anglers will kill a female brown for their roe and many will just dump the carcass. Could be that. Browns are very fond of small thin twitch baits like small Rapala X Raps, Yozuri Hardcores and 3D Minnows, Lucky Craft Pointers and jointed Rebels and Rapalas

Virtually all! :w00t:

You could turn a thread about new car tires into a roe battle.

As for the brownies, they eat just about anything. That said, if you are watching them swim around it isn't going to be easy.

I've had luck in the lake and estuaries using minnows under a float, small jigs under a float, or casting smaller Rapalas, Cleos, Mepps, etc.

Virtually all! :w00t:

You could turn a thread about new car tires into a roe battle.

As for the brownies, they eat just about anything. That said, if you are watching them swim around it isn't going to be easy.

I've had luck in the lake and estuaries using minnows under a float, small jigs under a float, or casting smaller Rapalas, Cleos, Mepps, etc.

Other than one half dead chinook we didn't see any live fish. We didn't try any rapalas for some reason though, that would have probably done the trick.

so are you guys saying that we were using lures that were too big? would a #2 or #3 mepps, size J-9 rapala, or a 1/4 oz cleo be more suitable then? btw, we were using 6 lb mono straight to the lure.

I always heard anything up to #3 was the ticket. Most say smaller is better.

X2 for the baits.

Sadly, I come across female browns that were gutted for their eggs and carcasses left many times. Makes me angry.

Taking piers and estuaries out of the equation, this time of year there are numerous lakefront areas where browns congregate and people fish for them. These invariably are sites where they were stocked as fingerlings. They return there in the fall out of pure homing instinct and nothing else.

The water is usually glass water clear and the trout are spooky. On top of that they have spawning on their minds and in that type of environment can be hard to entice.

Most guys who have success in these types of spots fish at night either with an egg sinker and floating roe bag or a small bag or single egg under a float lit with a glowstick.

Casting pretty much any type of hardware at night is effective at times, but wide wobble banana baits like Flatfish and Kwikfish really shine as the fish are able to zero in on them.

Yes virtually all. Some, including guys I know on this site, will head to the the Oak as an example, for the sole purpose of gathering Brown roe. Those fish end up in the bushes since only a complete idiot would eat them from there. Bronte is another spot where this happens, to the point that there are not near the Browns there once was there. Oshawa harbor, same deal

Taking piers and estuaries out of the equation, this time of year there are numerous lakefront areas where browns congregate and people fish for them. These invariably are sites where they were stocked as fingerlings. They return there in the fall out of pure homing instinct and nothing else.

The water is usually glass water clear and the trout are spooky. On top of that they have spawning on their minds and in that type of environment can be hard to entice.

Most guys who have success in these types of spots fish at night either with an egg sinker and floating roe bag or a small bag or single egg under a float lit with a glowstick.

Casting pretty much any type of hardware at night is effective at times, but wide wobble banana baits like Flatfish and Kwikfish really shine as the fish are able to zero in on them.

thanks! exactly what I was looking for. I'll have to buy the X-9 size Kwikfish next time I see one.

Kwikfish are known as K-numeral. So K9 is what you are thinking or if a Flatfish, you would want an X5 for a similar size. Either one is probably too big for a stream or most lake conditions though. I use k9's or X5's at the Whirlpool in the fastest water, K8 in medium water and K7 in slow water. A single hook K7 or maybe a K8 might be good for browns but Kwikies would not be my favorite bait for browns in any case. Great for Salmon, Steelies and Smallies though.

Edited by Snidley

Browns are highly opportunistic and diverse feeders. I’ve caught them on size 1 spinners through to Rapala J13’s and 1.5oz buzzbombs off the pier. Anything that resembles a baitfish will get a browns attention. I’ve probably hooked more browns in harbours and off piers with lipless cranks than anything else (sometimes with glow in the dark tape stuck to the sides when fishing at night).

Up river, aside from roe, Gulp minnows (or other soft plastic minnow baits) on a 1/16oz jig head (sometimes lighter) can work pretty well when drifted below a float. Same with soft plastic crappie tube jigs...

Funny, I never did all that well suspending live minnows below a float for browns in the past.

Yes virtually all.

Hand on the Holy book – I have never in my life harvested a brown trout for roe or used brown roe that wasn't from a trash can in the fish cleaning station. Honestly, I’ve never found the need to.