Making inlines

Christopheraaron

Take a look at the luremaking.com site Chris - I've got both styles of their benders. The more expensive one does a great job. If it's in your budget you won't be sorry at all. The smaller one is just ok for lighter wire & occasional use, I actually don't use it at all now I have the bigger one.

I think you need to use 2 pairs of pliers if you're going to attempt doing it without the benders - a whole lot of patience too!

Michael

Christopher, the largest wire bender you can get for that application is the one that luremaking.com sells and it can only handle wire up to .041". There is an attachment available for that machine that'll get you up to .051" wire. Aside from industrial machines, I don't know of any that'll bend .062. For musky baits, you'll do fine with .051". I have inlines and spinnerbaits using .062" wire but they were all made by hand using pliers and 2 pairs of vice grips or a bench vice.

Also, if you're going to be making wire baits, do yourself a favour and wear safety glasses.

Good luck.

Practise makes perfect! Just keep trying and you will get the technique. Maybe try with thin wire first and every time you get it right move up to a thicker wire. Before you know it those .062 loops will look professional!

Andrew

Thanks guys, I've looked at the wire bender but I don't know if I really want to spend that chunk of change on it, we're getting the bench vise out tomorrow to see if that helps. I've been doing I guess the 0.041 wire and a comfortable with that. And Roy, I learned that this morning when the whole shaft sprung at my eye, eye protection from now on for sure lol!

Edited by Christopher k

I agree with the elbow grease. I'm a gal and I figured it out using only one pair of pliers and my thumb. I cut myself a few times and it hurt a few times but you get it after awhile.

Keep trying and you'll get the hang of it! Never try it without the plyers in the loop, that's when it goes wrong!

Edit to note: always leave yourself alot of wire to wrap, it makes it much easier!

Edited by Joey

Hi Chris;

I own a professional wire bender that will do the job.

Tie your skirts and assemble your baits, then set them aside until April.

When I get home, you can come up and I will help you finish the whole works in a couple of hours.

I can also show you how to tie the best skirt you have ever seen, at the same time.

Garry2R's

Hi Chris;

I own a professional wire bender that will do the job.

Tie your skirts and assemble your baits, then set them aside until April.

When I get home, you can come up and I will help you finish the whole works in a couple of hours.

I can also show you how to tie the best skirt you have ever seen, at the same time.

Garry2R's

Hey Garry, one other thing, do you by any chance know Matt billings?

Never made my own inlines but I would second Joey's advice about leaving a long tag end. The longer tail would give you better leverage for those wraps. and Roy's advice is very important, get proper eye pro.

One thing I'd experiment with if you don't want to get a bender would be to get a length of hardwood dowel. Drill an appropriate sized hole down the length. The wire would slide in here and the dowel would be used as a wrench for making your wraps. Kinda like taping your hockey stick. just thinking...

Which one do you have Garry?

I have the Hagen's "Professional Wire Former" with the heavy wire kit.

It is rated for .58 wire, but will twist .61 (16 gauge stainless welding rod) if you lubricate the wire.

Garry2rs

7.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg

6.jpg

Edited by garry2rs