Centerpin on a 10 ft rod?

Freshtrax

I have a fenwick hmxs that I use currently for fishing in the rivers. I love the rod could I pair it with a centerpin seems everyone uses a longer rod with their pin? On that note if you have a used pin for sale check the classifieds. I am on a budget no 300 dollar reels for me.

10 and 11 foot rods is what we used to use before 17 foot rods became trendy....of course you can use it..the down fall is fishing in the crowds with a shorter rod...but if you find an area with minimal people standing in the pool they are supposed to be fishing ..youll be good to go... :good:

Depends on the river.. a 10ft float rod is fine for any of the east ditches, you'd be outgunned on a few of the Huron/GBay tribs. Float rods have both reel seats and sliding rings. Doesn't make it any more or less of a float rod :)

I often strap a pin on a 9 1/2 fly rod with a detachable fight butt for smaller brushy creeks. The flyrod has low profile ceramic guides all the way to the tip, don't think I would do it with traditional snakes. I does work well .

Edited by dave524

Sweet thanks for the info guys..I'm really excited my good friend is giving me a Jon spahr custom reel for 60 bucks. I'm not complaining. He got a few made for him back when he first started producing reels. He says it's been to hell and back and a little scratched up but works flawlessly. I will hopefully be learning how to use it this weekend should be entertaining.

Sweet thanks for the info guys..I'm really excited my good friend is giving me a Jon spahr custom reel for 60 bucks. I'm not complaining. He got a few made for him back when he first started producing reels. He says it's been to hell and back and a little scratched up but works flawlessly. I will hopefully be learning how to use it this weekend should be entertaining.

Make sure you have someone to teach you,on your own,believe me/us here if I may!!not good lol.:wallbash:

Well I went and picked it up tonight ... It's hand engraved on the inside. ". 2003 John Spahr #34 ". I'm excited to get out tomorrow even if it's blown and muddy. Any pointers for a rookie. My buddy gave me a few tips and I've been reading all week online and watching YouTube vids on how to cast ect. But any must know knowlage? "stand on the shoulders of giants" Any ways here she is. a972851bfc90d628e8218def09c69dfe.jpg

I'd be tempted to put another couple hundred yards of good quality float line on it. First time pinning... to retrieve a drift bring rod tip low, palm reel and pull rod tip high. allow line to settle, now spin reel and lower tip to water slowly to pick up line. Palm reel again, repeat. You will eventually Learn to keep it spinning and drag along the surface but for your first few times use the pull, spin method till you get comfortable with it. I think it will be an advantage to learn with a shortish rod. Much less cumbersome.

The biggest tip I can offer you is to go and spend 20 minutes or so practicing casting before you go out into a crowd on a river. I didn't and when I hit the river I just couldn't get the float out far enough the first. Luckily a buddy on the river showed what I was doing wrong and I waded down away from the best drifts practiced what he showed me for a few minutes moved back into the good drift and caught a shaker in less than a half hour. I probably could have done better by practicing first though because by the time I got the hang of it all the fish in the pool had been thrashed by 10 other anglers....

to add to the practice comment ..load up your line with weight while practicing so you develop a feel for the mechanics of the cast...then once your on to it ..reduce the weight

Take a spinning reel with you for back up..

Good Luck

Ahhhhh just walked inthe door. Well the bearings were trash in the reel I need to get that sorted this week and as for the fishing it was allot of fresh air and exercise today. Much of the same where we headed after we met you BillM whole lotta nothing fish must have been cruising today. I had my brother in law out I was hoping to get him hooked up he has only fished about ten times in his life and mostly caught sunfish ect off the dock. I'll be back on the river in about........6.5 hrs :)

Edited by Freshtrax

One drop of sewing machine oil per bearing is all you need. Any excess oil will only attract dirt/grime.

Bill.I tried the oil that comes with the beard trimmer. Just a drop on each bearing. It seemed to be to heavy. Where can I buy the sewing machine oil? Wally world?