Under/Over

Jer

After many evenings of trying, I finally caught a couple pickerel from my dock tonight...

One was 12", the other was 20"...how am I supposed to eat :dunno:

Seriously though, it was great to finally get a couple. I up-sized my minnows and it paid off. With the smaller bait I was getting a constant barrage of dinky perch, enough to drive you nuts, I moved up to 4"-5" minnows and managed a couple decent bass along with the pickerel. Not bad for a couple hours at dusk.

Sorry there's no pics, didn't have a camera or phone down at the dock.

Thanks guys.

It's generally a fruitless effort from the dock, the bay I'm in only gets about 5' deep all the way across and I'm generally too lazy to bother getting the boat out after a hard day of work. Besides, the beer tastes better on the dock, and the dog gets to play...

• 4 weeks later...

Congrats! Sounds like your gettin them dialed in! Now get back out there tomorrow night and bring the camera!

Well I've persevered, pics to follow once my phone dries up...may be one of my best ever...

I've spent most evenings for an hour or two on the dock this fall, most nights getting a small bass or two and some perch. There's been the odd pickerel in the mix but some have been just over our keepable slot at 20" or 21" and most under or barely legal at 14", all have swum another day.

Today I made sure I got home abit early, with the cold front due to come in this afternoon some time. It was raining pretty good but still quite warm when I got set-up, the fish were active with a few small little bass right off the hop.

I was about to pack it in as the rain got abit heavier and my beer was empty, so I started to pull my minnow in when I got a good hit...I knew right away it had some weight...barely fit in my net... :thumbsup_anim:

IMG-20121112-00020.jpg

IMG-20121112-00021.jpg

Measured at 27" and maybe the fattest pickerel I've ever caught. This of course called for another beer and rig another minnow...15 minutes later the cold front came through. :wallbash:

Only a few days left in the season, the weather doesn't look like it will cooperate, but I still have at least a dozen minnows to use...guess where I'll be the next few evenings.

Sure would still like to get one for a meal.