Cooking a Turkey

Sour_Squirrel

i need my grandmother to read this site to put and end to the slices of turkey flavored sawdust that's barely edible with a gallon of gravy. she must cook those suckers til the internal temp of the bird is 250 before slicing the breasts an hour before dinner time to make sure every last drop of moisture is sucked out of the meat. :whistling:

i need my grandmother to read this site to put and end to the slices of turkey flavored sawdust that's barely edible with a gallon of gravy. she must cook those suckers til the internal temp of the bird is 250 before slicing the breasts an hour before dinner time to make sure every last drop of moisture is sucked out of the meat. :whistling:

Well, you could (a) direct her to this site and possibly risk being cut out of her will, or (B) be a good boy and grin and bear it and tell your nan what a nice turkey.rofl2.gif. If you choose (a) let us know how it works out for you, willya??laugh.gif

Was at my MIL for turkey dinner... she put a 15lb turkey in the oven at 10:00am and served it to us at 6:00pm... a very unique sound when gravy was applied... very much like the sound of water being pulled down a large drain... and to make matters worse, she ALWAYS throws out the neck and gibblets, which are the only edible parts of the bird as far as I'm concerned!

Normally, I do the bird, but this year, she said she wanted to do it... and she's always amazed when I tell her the bird was completely cooked in just over 2 1/2 hours...

So now I have half a desert turkey in my fridge as she insisted that I take it home to make soup and turkey tettrazini (sp). On the bright side, it has absorbed all of the ice build up in my spare fridge, craving moisture! LOL

HH

Was at my MIL for turkey dinner... she put a 15lb turkey in the oven at 10:00am and served it to us at 6:00pm... a very unique sound when gravy was applied... very much like the sound of water being pulled down a large drain... and to make matters worse, she ALWAYS throws out the neck and gibblets, which are the only edible parts of the bird as far as I'm concerned!

Normally, I do the bird, but this year, she said she wanted to do it... and she's always amazed when I tell her the bird was completely cooked in just over 2 1/2 hours...

So now I have half a desert turkey in my fridge as she insisted that I take it home to make soup and turkey tettrazini (sp). On the bright side, it has absorbed all of the ice build up in my spare fridge, craving moisture! LOL

HH

thumbsup_anim.gifrofl2.gifrofl2.gif

Threw out the neck!! Have some pity on her. She must have dementia!

Could you savw some for me. I need some dessicant for my camera and electronics!biggrin.gif

thumbsup_anim.gifrofl2.gifrofl2.gif

Threw out the neck!! Have some pity on her. She must have dementia!

Could you savw some for me. I need some dessicant for my camera and electronics!biggrin.gif

You make a good point! Maybe I should save some of that bird for when I drop some electronics in the water... I could use the turkey instead of rice!

HH

Up or down doesnt matter, its all about the brine.

Agreed! Take the time to brine it overnight and you will have a moist bird. I make my brine a little less salty than most to prevent the pan gravy becoming too salty.

I place the turkey in a 20L pail frozen and cover it with brine and leave it in the garage overnight (covered). By the morning it is still very cold but thawed. Pat dry, rub sage, thyme and butter under the skin and cook at 300 F. Turn up the heat the last 30 min to crisp skin.