Generator Question??

bushart

Being this place is a wealth of info...

With the onset of gas powered inverter generators on the market now ($$$$)--making it safer to use electronics with.

Could you use a reg generator about 5500 watts and install a surge protector for electronics to plug into??? and use the safely without fryin them??

I'm somewhat green on these inverters

Honestly, all i can tell you is my own experience.Last winter, i had to use my generator 5000 W. I powered up my 56 inch flat screen, with no problem,with a really good surge protector.I was very careful not to put too heavy a load on the generator, while using the TV, so the voltage spikes were at a minimum.

Don't know if its adviseable or not to do it this way , but i had no problems with the TV afterwardsdunno.gif

We have a 3000W generator for our fifth wheel. With my mom being sensitive to the heat, she has spent some days while camping inside with the ac on, and watching a movie or tv. Haven't had an issue. Used the genny to do that plus charge boat battery at same time. Only thing is the tv is only a 20 inch flat screen

If I'm not mistaken there is a big difference between the inverter power and surge protectors on dirty generators. Inverters have clean waveform, almost unlikely to screw up any electronics or motor driven devices whereas a regular contractor generator doesn't. The only thing a surge protector does is limit the voltage, not clean it up.