Are the simcoe smallies back to normal?

Toddyc20

After a tough year on simcoe i'm just wondering if the smallies are back to being somewhat predictable yet? All year I was having a difficult time locating them due to the extreme temperatures. I'd love to hear from all of you simcoe experts.

I'm definitely no expert but we found good sized ones this year in 10-30' of water. They were a little deeper than normally but real nice size.!

• 2 weeks later...

I managed a fair amount of bass, nothing over 2lbs. Lots of keeper perch and Two small pike last sat. Was thinking Simcoe again tomorrow but I think I'm going to hit up honey harbour

Edited by danbob

You'll wanna beef up that rig if you plan on fishing the deep stuff for the monsters.

No need.

I set the reel's drag with the right tension and I'm good to go.

The rod I normally use is a 6'6" ultralight Shimano Compre. I hook the fish and take my time playing it out. Besides it's a lot more fun catching Smallmouth using light tackle.

No need.

I set the reel's drag with the right tension and I'm good to go.

The rod I normally use is a 6'6" ultralight Shimano Compre. I hook the fish and take my time playing it out. Besides it's a lot more fun catching Smallmouth using light tackle.

You can't feel the fish's full strength on really light line like that. When you have to set the drag that light, the fish just takes drag uncontested and you really do not get the sensation of their strength. I like 6 pound. I know 6 is the next step up from 4 but the difference is significant. The line isn't so strong that you can muscle them in and there is enough tension that the fish has to work for it and show you his strength.

I go with 5 lbs. It's the best of both worlds. You can take your sweat time fighting the fish and there is just enough resistance to think you will appreciate the strength of the fish. Then again I am using felt covered hooks so as to not harm the fish.

I typically use 15 pound braid with a 6ft 8 pound fluoro leader. I have used 6 pound in the past but find it breaks easily, not from fish but from being compromised by rocks and muscles on bottom. Too many reties. When fishing 30 ft in the fall I don't believe that 8 pound will make too much difference compare to 6 pound.

I go with 5 lbs. It's the best of both worlds. You can take your sweat time fighting the fish and there is just enough resistance to think you will appreciate the strength of the fish. Then again I am using felt covered hooks so as to not harm the fish.

:rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: