Local Pier Salmon

12 Volt Man

thanks for all the kind words.

I actually think I may have beaten that Personal Best with a new Personal best last night:

this fish was weighed by friendly fellow fishermen on the pier at 24 pounds. it was super thick and fat.

probably weighed more than the silver fish, I would think??. It felt heavier to me.

one thing is for sure: I am sure giving my Loomis SJR843 GL3 spinning rod a work out this salmon season lol. just yesterday it begged me to use it for bass again hahaha

but look at the colour: dark/golden. Has this fish been up the river and back out?

I'm confused as to the colour change too.

I was always told they darken when they have been up river. the ones out in the lake are more silver??

Sept23dsalmon1croppedcompressed.JPG

Edited by 12 Volt Man

thanks for all the kind words.

I actually think I may have beaten that Personal Best with a new Personal best last night:

this fish was weighed by friendly fellow fishermen on the pier at 24 pounds. it was super thick and fat.

probably weighed more than the silver fish, I would think??. It felt heavier to me.

one thing is for sure: I am sure giving my Loomis SJR843 GL3 spinning rod a work out this salmon season lol. just yesterday it begged me to use it for bass again hahaha

but look at the colour: dark/golden. Has this fish been up the river and back out?

I'm confused as to the colour change too.

I was always told they darken when they have been up river. the ones out in the lake are more silver??

That fish hasn't run the river, but the next good rain will probably push it up. The only way they come back down river is floating upside down. It all depends when the fish will push up river. In early August, if you get a good cold rain, you can see good numbers of silver fish push up river with very few anglers around. In most cases, the fish will start turning colour as early as mid to late July out in the lake. Its not uncommon to catch a darkening fish in July downrigging in 100 to 150 ft of water. Most fish are aready a nice bronze color once they make it to the piers - although, as I mentioned in a prior post, there's always exceptions to the rule with fish that mature later.

Nice fish for sure.

Edited by LimbLifter

Here are a couple of pics from about 23 years ago.

the first pic is of me and a hen taken from the Notty in Angus. Well into the river.

The second pic is of my father and a big Lake Otario fish taken about a mile out in Port Credit.

My fish is a Georgian Bay female in the river and my dad's is a Lake O male taken in the lake. So it goes to show that it really depends on several factors as to the how silver the fish may be.

oldfish4.JPG

oldfish72.JPG

Nice chinooks! Your going to break your personal best again this year if you keep it up.

Regarding the fish changing. They definitely start changing in early August. I used to do a great deal of taxidermy work and the difference between a July fish and an August fish was like night and day. Scales all fall off in July (best to do a repro), but you could be careful cleaning an August fish and keep the scales on the fish. They are still chrome looking, but you start seeing more black in their scale pattern.

I have also caught some fairly dark looking fish off of piers and some shiney ones in the river. They are not the same chrome as out of the lake though.

Congrats on the PB and even newer PB! I think I saw you (and a pic of the fish directly on your camera) the night you got the first PB! I bet it gave your gear (including your arms) a great workout!

small world!

thanks, I got another one the other day, but it was a bit smaller than the other two, but still a great fish.

the fight these fish put up is addictive LOL

Sept. 25th salmon compressed.JPG

nice fish. I just caught my PB out of a creek a few days ago, it ate a worm, no joke, inhaled it. It was about 28-30 lbs.

28-30 lbs is huge but not uncommon. The largest weight this year for me is 15lb 9-10oz on my digi scale. If I didn't have the scale I would have been saying it was 20-25lbs. Don't assume large fish weight the beasts

Nice fish btw you look happy:) but it looks like my 15 pounder I'd post the pic but I'm on an iPad and don't know how to reduce the size...

Edited by azebra

true, it is very easy to over estimate the weights on these fish.

the fish I posted earlier with the huge girth was weighed at 24 pounds.

I could hardly pick it up. its a benchmark for me now.

if I don't have trouble picking up the fish without a fair bit of effort, its nowhere near 24 pounds.

I would have thought it was more but you don't know until you actually weigh it.

I have seen people land huge salmon and say its gotta be 30 pounds.

then they pull out the scale and its 18..

easy to do, but it doesn't really matter in the end.

who cares if the fish is 20 or 25 or 15?

they are all amazing fish and they all fight hard!

congrats to all those anglers lucky enough to land one.

its easier said then done sometimes. there are a lot of people out on the piers that have never caught one yet.

Edited by 12 Volt Man

Very nice fish everyone! thumbsup_anim.gif Salmon are a blast this time of year.

Any idea of the weight of this one gentlemen? Didn't have a scale or tapemeasure but I marked off the length on the rod I had, it was 43in long, and that boot is about 5 inches wide. This is a picture of my friend with the fish, all the ones with me are terrible

DSCF2334.jpg

DSCF2332.jpg