1st time at Minnitaki

limeyangler

After getting some local knowledge and sifting through past reports on different forums , my buddy and me headed to Minnitaki for the first time. Its been on my list for a while but never seemed to get round to it.

Advice from a local was 30' deep. Turned out to be 40' deep. Mid water reef/hump was the best spot. We had a few other spots recommended but there were always a few boats on those spots.

We did get the odd fish elsewhere but very few. Wind had been strong from SW the past few days and we tried the windward side of points and islands....with limited success.

Got a few smallies and pike when trying shallow...but no walleye.

Wind was light to non existent all day except for 1/2 an hour in the morning. Slip bobber in 40' feet worked well in the mirror flat conditions out on the reef.

Jigs and minnows, bottom bouncers with minnow/crawler all worked.

We did try unsuccessfully for some lakers too, but as luck would have it seems I damaged my transducer when i pulled the boat off my trailer to fix the bunks.....DOH! We did have the trolling motor transducer but it was not getting a good signal either....kinda fishing blind yesterday.

Went through the creek from Butterfly Lake into Lyons Bay....water levels are pretty low everywhere out there...but the creek is still passable with motor trimmed...no way you are gonna get through at speed...we chewed up the bottom with the prop a few times....thank goodness its a soft mud bottom.

All in all a decent enough day....good numbers of fish...just pretty small. 40' seemed the number out there yesterday...although we did get some even deeper. Reel up slow !

VIDEO

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/QZ82n_Bp-Bg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

IMG_2915.jpg

IMG_2916.jpg

IMG_2917.jpg