dodge durango (nf)

Guest skeeter99

Guest skeeter99

thinking of picking up a used durango (old body style) with the 4.7 litre engine

anyone got one or had one,what is your opinion good or bad on the vehicle

thanks in advance

Troy

My sister and brother-in-law were set to buy one, then took it to a reputable mechanic. Stay far, far away. Attractive vehicle on the outside, but inside, where it counts, they are nothing but a headache.

Guest skeeter99

HHHHHHHHHHHmmmmmmmmmmmm!

they are better on gas than my minivan only getting about 15 1/2 to 16 miles per gallon so about the same

dodge has always been dad for ball joints they go through them like candy, althougth the 99's to 2002 had a recall though (durango)

all my cars have been dodge and probably changed 20 ball joints now

I am suprised at the response of a poor vehicle from some, it was the best selling suv at one time, my cousin has worked for dodge(14 years)and the durango he says u rarely see in the shop considering the millions they sold, they hardly stock any parts .And he knows original owners who wont let them go

I found a 2003 (4.7 v8) with 54k on it at a dodge dealer good price too!

now I dont know what to do? thanks guys for the input

Troy

Edited by skeeter99

I haven't owned one, but a friend of mine has had once since I think 2001/02 maybe longer? Loves it and won't trade it for anything. I know he's had a couple of things fixed on it, but not too sure if it was anything major.

Maureen

I sell cars for a living and we handle dodge as well as GM (NEW) Also all makes of used of course. The old style durangos are probably the worst on gas of any of the SUVs.Given the choice I would look for something else.Trailblazer or Envoy,would be first choice.

i know someone that has one, they have the 5.9 rt cheaper on has than the 4.7l. very good truck they never had a problem with it yet and it has 70 000kms, only thing the owner that had it befor had a problem with the 4x4 when towing very heavy loads. chrystler replaced it and it now runs good as new. any car or truck has its good and bad points.

I'll share what I know...I have a '98 Tahoe..& I "came into" a 99 Durango ( iron 318 ) fully loaded.

The Durango is a decent ride. (long story short,I found my best friend dead Sept. 05...family gave me all fishing & boating stuff,) his Dad also arranged for me to get the Durango at a very reasonable cost & he DID replace all 4 ball joints before I took posession.

with that being said, I will say that the 'ride' in the Durango is very nice...mileage SUKS .... And,there is a 'road noise' issue. Also...a VERY irritating visibility problem. With trailer mirrors & the thick columns around the windshield, it's REAL easy to pull out in front of somebody !! ( newer models may be better).

If I had my druthers..I 'd opt for the Tahoe...bigger, better visibility, bigger engine..& better mileage.

durango around the city 10 to 12 mpg towing was lucky to average 8mpg, ball joints and rear springs, intake gaskets, blown motors at 120k, tires for the RT at $1300 a set, full time 4x4 have to keep em even,,,,, all in all id stay far away from another durango personally, regardless of offers of good pricing etc, youll pay soon enough for the difference.

just my penny

I have a 99 durango with a 318.

The 2000 is when the 4.7 started. The first year of the 4.7 had a bad crank design that leads to significant sludging unless you use synth oils.

I love it. My wife drives it daily. Good power tows my boat easily.

Its no worse on gas than ANY other full size SUV that size, Escalade, Navigator etc... they all get between 12 and 15 mpg.

If you need the third row and want to tow and want 4wd its fine.

Just make sure its had all the recalls done.