Lures

Steve2012

Just about anything you can imagine could and would work, but many of us do have preferences for our own lakes.

The colour of the water and the amount of day light would also influence my decision on colour choice.

I mostly fish non-great lakes walleye and my first choice is natural bait colours, mostly perch and silver/black minnow, because those are the main bait fish available.

If it is low light then I'll use firetiger or a "hot" perch.

rapalas j-5 and j-7 in black/gold and chartuese have always worked well for me no matter what water body i have used them on. You may need to use something to get them deeper seeing they run very shallow on their own. Depending on depth i am fishing i use a 3/4 oz. bell sinker about 18 inches from lure for water less then 10 fow and then if trolling 10-20 fow 1 oz and a long lead. Anything over 20 fow i use a jet planer. I have also had good luck with deep diving shap raps and fat raps in perch,chartuese,blue/silver and black/gold. Also slow trolling a bottom bouncing warm harness with orange blades and a dew worm works good.

As others have said, trolling for walleyes is most productive with worm harnesses or body baits. If you're not going to be using harnessed worms, minnows or leeches, the body baits should be of the long slender variety....something like ReefRunners in the 800 model. I don't think that actual colours mean a whole lot except that you should have dark and light on hand. Run your baits deeper than shallower. If there are floating or half submerged weeds, take a page out of the muskie guys' book by using a down rod. Most of the weeds will be caught by the rod and less time will be spent cleaning the bait, thus, more time in the strike zone.

I'm only a youngster but I hope this helps.

The "best" color changes throughout the year... And varies from spot to spot.... As well as day to day.... Morning and night... Sunny and cloudy... Warm and cold...Etc...

Some may say this isn't helpful information... But it is... Never be afraid to experiment with colors... Especially when your ON fish... That way you know active fish are seeing this new color...

My box has a LOT of different lures in a LOT of different colors... But generally I only use a few different lures in a few different colors...

As far as lures... Depth is key... Where you will be fishing mostly.... You'll be targetting 15-30 feet of water.... So you'll want crankbaits that dive at 15-20-25-30 feet for different spots... Lures that will dive 20 feet or so will be 90% of your arsenal... Stick with brand names like Rapala... Cotton Cordell... Reef runner... Manns... Yo zuri... They all work...

Also mentioned are worm harnesses.... These are a bit tougher to troll... But I'll show you to do it right when we get out....

And to start... Keep colors simple....

Black/gold

Black/silver

Blue/silver

Perch

Fire tiger

Again I'll show you some of my favorites when we go out...

Hope this helps

Mike

The "best" color changes throughout the year... And varies from spot to spot.... As well as day to day.... Morning and night... Sunny and cloudy... Warm and cold...Etc...

Some may say this isn't helpful information... But it is... Never be afraid to experiment with colors... Especially when your ON fish... That way you know active fish are seeing this new color...

My box has a LOT of different lures in a LOT of different colors... But generally I only use a few different lures in a few different colors...

As far as lures... Depth is key... Where you will be fishing mostly.... You'll be targetting 15-30 feet of water.... So you'll want crankbaits that dive at 15-20-25-30 feet for different spots... Lures that will dive 20 feet or so will be 90% of your arsenal... Stick with brand names like Rapala... Cotton Cordell... Reef runner... Manns... Yo zuri... They all work...

Also mentioned are worm harnesses.... These are a bit tougher to troll... But I'll show you to do it right when we get out....

And to start... Keep colors simple....

Black/gold

Black/silver

Blue/silver

Perch

Fire tiger

Again I'll show you some of my favorites when we go out...

Hope this helps

Mike

Thx Mike