Catching a big walleye

Rich

I'd tell ya Rich but am afraid you go on a big wally freezer fill :whistling:

JK---my experience says quite often it's more where what you do rather than what you do

Years ago my PB willy----34 inches--14 lbs---caught on 1/16th oz jig on a flat lake on a bakin summer day

I've caught numerous eyes in the fall between 5-10 lbs riggin big chub minnows in the fall in 30 plus feet

Caught many eyes trollin spinners in various spots

Each time---I was in that specific area for a reason

Depends on the water Rich.

Kawartha or Sheild Lake weed walleye, 7inch worm on a mushroom head or a flipping jig. Dunking pockets and clumps off weed edges.

Open water - hands down, big ole wide wobble long body crank chasing bait.

Thanks for the tips. Was mostly thinking shield eyes as thats where i fish them most often. I always seem to find and catch walleye rather quickly.. But rarely are my quick fish a size even worth mentioning. I guess i need to read up a little more on walleye. Lol

Kawartha Lakes - crankbaits & bucktail jigs (black, black with anything, perch) RIPPED off bottom along weedlines

Quinte - a whole different monster.

Spring - worm harnesses and shad-type cranks trolled

Summer - casting crankbaits along weed edges

Fall - trolling Reef Runners or Tail Dancers

- vertical jigging spoons & jiggin raps

Winter - vertical jigging spoons tipped with multiple minnows

If you're going to Quinte, shoot me a PM and I'll get into more detail

I very rarely target walleye (except for at a few specific lakes where the sizes aren't that big), so my own PB is pretty small at only 21". I caught two at this size, one trolling a silver and black original floating Rapala, and one on my first cast right in tight to shore with a similar lure by Cotton Cordell in firetiger.

big swimbaits and fluke style baits. White is my favorite color. Strike King 7" Shadalicious are awesome in the sexyshad color. For flukes I'd use 5"-7 or maybe even 8" if ya have some, and rig em side ways

Spinnerbaits, 3/8oz - 1oz, black/silver willowleaf and chart/silver willowleaf blades are my favs, I use Strike King Pot Bellies

Northland tackle shakeyhead jigs with large senko style worms. Natural color or black/silver tail are my fav colors

Fall time for me means covering water aggressively with larger then average baits

Edited by manitoubass2

For big fish....

Troll CRANKBAITS... Not many walleye anglers can argue the fact that trolling cranks gets the highest average weight.... Can you get a pig on a little jig... Of course... Can you catch more on spinners/harnesses.... maybe...

But I know from experience.... That cranks catch bigger fish... On average...

And in the fall lindy style rigs with 5-7 inch minnows drifted beside weed beds gets the neutral fish to bite...

I would go with Musky Mike on this one, I have heard Musky guys pick up some big eyes when they are trolling large bait. Having said that I picked up a couple of nice eyes in the Kawarthas on Wednesday on a little jig tipped with a Power minnow. Picked up at least one of everything that day. A good day on the water.

For big fish....

Troll CRANKBAITS... Not many walleye anglers can argue the fact that trolling cranks gets the highest average weight.... Can you get a pig on a little jig... Of course... Can you catch more on spinners/harnesses.... maybe...

But I know from experience.... That cranks catch bigger fish... On average...

And in the fall lindy style rigs with 5-7 inch minnows drifted beside weed beds gets the neutral fish to bite...

Yep MM, thats the size!!!

It's hard to argue against it. On any body of water