Barrie Fall Fishing Festival

kickingfrog

http://www.thebarrieexaminer.com/2012/09/05/upcoming-barrie-fall-fishing-festival-reeling-em-in

Upcoming Barrie Fall Fishing Festival reeling 'em in

By Ian McInroy, Barrie Examiner

Thursday, September 6, 2012 11:10:31 EDT AM

Catching a tagged perch could reel in some big bucks for lucky anglers during the upcoming Barrie Fall Fishing Festival.

The second annual event of the Rotary Club of Barrie Huronia runs from Sept. 21 to 30 along Barrie’s waterfront and promises to be a real catch for participants who can win cash and prizes, which are estimated to exceed $50,000.

They’ll also be helping their community and Lake Simcoe. Proceeds from the festival will go to environmental initiatives to help improve the health of the lake as well as other charity projects by the Barrie Huronia Rotary Club, including Rotary House at the Royal Victoria Regional Health Centre.

Festival chairman Don Jerry says you don’t have to be a fancy fishing fanatic to take part.

“It’s a family event. You don’t even have to have a boat,” he says.

“Last year we had a 10-year-old who was fishing from shore and caught a tagged fish worth $1,000.”

Plenty of ways to win await participants in the catch-and-release festival.

There are daily prize draws of fishing related items such as fishing rods, fish smokers and charters. Cash draw prizes include one $5,000 prize, three $1,000 prizes and four $500 prizes (cash prize recipients must be of legal age). And there are 65 $500 tagged fish, five $1,000 tagged fish and one tagged fish valued at a whopping $10,000.

“This is the first year we’ve had a $10,000 fish and, to the best of our knowledge, it’s the only $10,000 tagged fish in Canada and perhaps North America,” says Jerry.

During last year’s inaugural festival, about 600 people caught 3,000 perch which were brought in, documented and then released. He hopes to see twice that many participants this year.

Getting all those fish tagged is no easy task.

“We’ve been told that kids from the Barrie Bassmasters will be going out in about a dozen boats the weekend of Sept. 15 to help with the tagging,” says Jerry, adding with a laugh that the tagged fish aren’t released out in the middle of Lake Simcoe some place where they will never be seen again.

“If you draw a line from the Southshore Centre over to Johnson’s Beach, the tagged fish are released in an area of Kempenfelt Bay from that line towards Centennial Beach.”

Jerry says more than 50 sponsors make the Barrie Fall Fishing Festival a success.

“Rotary is very appreciative of the community-minded sponsors who want to see better things in our community, including Bob Jackson, of Jackson Toyota Scion, and our gold sponsor, Canadian Tire,” he says.

“All the sponsors can see the potential this event has and its positive impact on the community,” he adds.

“We’ve got a jewel in Kempenfelt Bay and we should highlight it and show it off to local residents and visitors to the city.”

For more information, visit www.bfff.ca, or call 705 720-7132.

[email protected]

It's only $40 to enter the tournament/festival. Where are you parking & paying? There's tons of free parking down there!!?

Ah yes looks like the parking has been postponed for a while. As for only $40 for the ticket, the Orillia Perch Fest, Owen Sound Salmon Spec and others are cheaper. Keep it reasonable and more will come.

They were supposed to install ticket dispensers for parking by July 1st if I'm not mistaken, looks like they are holding off for a while.

Yeah they were supposed to make out of towners pay at the Tiffin Launch and then that got put off. There still is tons of free parking down there though. The city of Barrie is not real good at utilizing the lakefront. After looking at the price for the other derbys, $40 is pretty high. I don't normally fish tournaments. I got a free pass for last years derby and decided to try again this year. It's still new, I'll decide after this year if I'll keep going though.

Hey there, Thank You for the info , simply awesome as my son is 2yrs old and ive started him fishing pan fish, whats totally awesome is

that i my wife and i were just talking about the Festival but we thought we missed it as were in the fall.....Again Thank You

Troy ~