Later Summer Brown

GreenCanada

After a few frustrating meetings with a couple graduate advisors, I needed to take a break on my way home.

I haven't been targeting brown's lately as the temps have been just too high and the action had slowed down considerably from previous years. So I decided to stop by a lessor known spot and try my luck with my ultralight setup.

I got there around 7:45pm and only had about 45 mins or so of light left. It's a great location with a long pool about 3-4ft deep with downed trees in the water on the far side, with overhanging branches. I know there are big boys in there but not likely this time of the year, so I was hoping for a nice eating size brown.

With no bites, it was steadily getting darker and I was tempting fate by tossing my crankbait into the night sky so close to the lumber. There were a few close calls and near snags, but then I threw the perfect cast. 2" from the log. I let it drift downstream about 3-4ft (2-3 seconds), then gave it a good twitch.

SMASH! An explosion is the only way to describe it. I battled this beautiful 15 1/2" brown for about 5 minutes before I managed to land her. I don't know what it was, maybe the darkness or the initial smash, but this single brown eclipses all others I've caught this year (including numerous 19-22" ones).

I know it isn't the greatest picture (Blackberry with flash in the dark).

Back she went. I couldn't bring myself to harvest such a fine specimen, that brought me such joy on the water.

img2012082100300.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Beautiful Brown man! Congrats! They are a fantastic species!

Not sure if it's the same here but the guide I had in England told me, he finds browns will pick a home and

stay there for a very long time or until something scares it off..

Go back and find it again with a fly rod :)

Every time you go back and get him he'll be bigger and smarter HAHA!

Edited by RangerGuy