Old fart needs help

beaser

As I mentioned before, I am getting back into fishing after a 40 year hiatus. My grandson wanted a fishing setup so I bought one for myself as well. I bought a fenwick eagle 2-8 lb light rod and a pfleuger president xt mod 30 (9lb max drag). It's a nice light rod but can be a tad limiting.

Ok, I'm a gear slut that needs an excuse :tease:

Today I bought a Fenwick 6'6' HMX 6-17lb med heavy rod and an Okuma Trio 30S reel (max drag is rated at 18). In hind sight I may have gone a tad heavy on the rod. The reel is a definite keeper. Any thoughts on this?

Options are lighter to a medium (8-12)

Longer

I have done searches to no avail.

Pary of my reasoning to buy the extra rod was that I had heard that the salmon in the nottawasaga can get a tad large.

and I have far too much time on my hands

and I'm a gear slut (did I mention that :devil: )

I bought the rod from crappy tire on a price match from sail and drove to lebarons for the reel. The 30s is a high speed retrieve (6.2:1). The feature set is fairly full for a $75 reel, the max drag is 18 lbs (which is high for a model30) and I had also checked with a warranty tech to see if there were any outstanding problems. My second choice would have been the Pfleuger Supreme ( also a 6:1)

In that I haven't owned a fishing pole in 40 years the current fishing lines are foreign too me. I had done full research (eenie meenie minnie moe) and planned to buy some Power Pro then the guy at lebarons said to get NanoFil. I figured I'd ask here or consult with my ouiga board this evening.

I bought the first rod and reel at Tromblys in Orillia and just asked the saleman to put on a good braided. :dunno: I'm normally more inquisitive.

I'll try a few more searches on line for spinning reels, but if any one of you kind people care to educate me I'd be obliged.

Beas

Edited by BryanB

For lines, the majority of people seem to like PowerPro. I don't care for the noise it makes through my guides, nor the tangles I've had with it. I haven't tried the Super8 stuff yet, so maybe that's the way to go. I may give it a shot next time I have to respool, just so I have tried it at least.

In the meantime, I'm happy with recommending Tuf-Line Duracast. I use 10lb, generally, and have had pretty much no issues with it.

Edit: I have it on four spinning reels, and will be spooling up my ice rods with it this winter too. I don't own a baitcaster, so I couldn't tell you if it would work well on one of those setups.

Edited by Dana

In that I haven't owned a fishing pole in 40 years the current fishing lines are foreign too me. I had done full research (eenie meenie minnie moe) and planned to buy some Power Pro then the guy at lebarons said to get NanoFil. I figured I'd ask here or consult with my ouiga board this evening.

Join the clubclapping.gif I am in the same boat(20years) and after 2 years back, i now own 10 comboswhistling.gif

looking at takeing a second mortgage on the house so i can get some new survival gear so i can fish more.blink.gif

Nanofils ----------nay nay

Powerpro --------good.gif

edited to add

for the young guys out there. we old dudes called a fishing rod, a fishing POLEw00t.gif

Edited by mercman

I think the second rod and reel conbo sounds pretty good. You could use it for all types of fishing, crank and jerk baits, frogging for bass and pike. It might be a bit short for salmon,, but my only experience with them is catching them on Lake O, and we use really heavy gear out there.

As far as line goes most people seem to be spooling up there spinning rods with 20-30 lb braid. I currently have reels spooled with 832, power pre and super slick, and I prefer the original power pro. 832 is a good line as well.

I honestly don't think that there is much difference between braids, it is just personal preference. Apparently 832 is on sale at sail and Canadian Tire.

I looked at a shimano convergence 8'6" and 9 ft,both 8-12 lb line at tromblays in Orillia today. Anything longer is really intimidating. Looked at a Sedona reel as well.

I appreciate the help very much.

Edited by BryanB

I went down to the "Big Smoke" (TO) and stoppped by the Dundas St LeBaron. I bought a Shimano Convergence 8'6" medium, a Shimano 3000 Sahara a rod case.

It was close to rush hour so I had a look at Sail (just off Hwy7 and Weston). I bought 300' of 20 lb Power Pro and the reel holds 230 meters so I asked the salesman for a spool of mono so I could back the reel, he kindly used some of their bulk to back it and put half of the spool of Power Pro on for me. I have to say that service at Sail was uncommonly excellent, the staff were eager and friendly. The original sales clerk had to run and another sales rep took over. He wound up giving me some pretty good ideas for some outing with me and my grandson. I picked up some wooly buggers, the grandkid will be pleased.

The pricing on lures was better than bass pro and close to Lebaron. Great selection

Welcome back to the fishing world. I hope your wallet is ready since you are a gear ho like many of us here. I like Power Pro and Tuff Line and it depends on the price of the line I need that day as to which one I buy. As for mono, I just use Trilene in 6 and 8lb test for walleye and small stuff with the kids on my spinning gear. Your 6'6" can be used for spring pike as well. Enjoy!!

Next issue I have is salmon bait and technique so far as river fishing goes (from shore or a dock) Tying a roe bag on a hook and looping it seem a no brainer. The videos speak of "puff balls" and other small float aids but would it be ok to use a sliop float with the depth set to keep the hook off the bottom?

Could I use the single and double hook bait spinners like the ones northland make. they have a dual hook version with a small float (Baitfish Float'n Spin Harness ) These are laberled as walleye spinners most often.

I'm currently playing around with some woollie buggers rigged to a slip float as well.

Some of the plugs seem less likely to snag on wood, bedsprings and weeds, I'm contemplating changing some of my spoons to sigle hook from treble. I know some loss is enevitable but I like to keep it to a minimum

I lost a spoon today, thankfully nothing expensive and to put things in proportion it cost considerably less than a 32oz mug of ice cold nectar of the gods. I may have mentioned that among other things I have 3 tears on my rotator and a torn bicep on the right arm. I was afraid of looking like a tool with my new 8.5 ft convergence. My fears were unfounded and after a full day I was able to get up from the river bank more nimbley than I have been able to move in about 5 years. Between photography and fishing I'll be a whole lot better off I hope.

I really appreciate the help, I do keep the flow of information going. As I learn I will also help and things I do know I will always offer any assistance that I can.

Beas :Gonefishing: