Bass fisherman takes heat for big catch

kickingfrog

Bass fisherman takes heat for big catch

Fishing tale made public has anglers pretty angry

Updated: Friday, 10 Aug 2012, 10:14 PM CDT

Published : Friday, 10 Aug 2012, 10:12 PM CDT

Erin Cargile

AUSTIN (KXAN) - Is it a sport Deborah Rebisz and Jeff Bane have enjoyed since elementary school.

"You never know that one day you could be looking at your personal best," said Rebisz.

The two have to get out on the lake early in the morning before the summer heat sets in.

"Being out here and doing what you like to do and enjoying it," said Bane. "Catching fish is just a plus."

But anger has set in over a fellow fisherman boasting about breaking the law on the Austin Bass Fishing Forum -- a website for avid anglers.

Under a screen name, 25-year-old Dustin Heathman described the best fishing trip of his life.

Click here to read original post and responses.

On June 21, Dustin wrote he "HAD A BLAST" by himself on Lake Austin and "put around 40 fish in the boat with 22 keepers."

He attached five pictures to prove it of 15 large mouth bass laid out on the back of his boat. That's three times the legal limit.

"Four people on a boat, twenty fish he can take home," said Bane. "One person on the boat, five fish he can take home."

Immediately, the fishing community started to strike back with comments like "You broke the law!"

Another tried to warn him: "...might want to get rid of the post and pictures."

Someone else wrote, "you will continue to get a well deserved bashing."

Dustin tried to defend himself by saying he deserved to keep that many because he usually throws fish back. He also said he had family in town to feed who wanted a fish fry. Neither excuse went over well.

"When you get a post that's got what 600 replies to it over something you did wrong, it's probably not a good idea," said Bane.

Sure enough, the bragging is coming back to bite him.

Travis County Game Warden Christy Vales caught wind of the online confession after more than one person contacted the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department and turned him in.

"I think the thing that upset us the most is just the total disregard for the legalities of fishing and the fish that he caught over his limit," said Vales.

She is still working on the case, but says Dustin will have to pay for the extra fish he took home. The fine has yet to be determined, but can range anywhere from $25 to $500 per fish.

The penalty is a reminder there's a reason size and stringer limits are in place.

"It creates spawning. It creates trophy fish. There's a lot of biology that goes into that, but mainly it's to ease the stress of catching fish over that limit," said Vales.

With only five Travis County game wardens to enforce all of the state wildlife laws, they rely heavily on the public to keep an eye out for anything fishy.

Rebisz and Bane believe at least one fisherman has learned his lesson.

"I bet he won't do it again," said Bane, but the fact still remains there's a lot of people out there that will."

They hope others are keeping an eye out, too, to ensure there will be enough fish for future generations.

"My grandsons' who I'm going to bring fishing all the time -- if there's no fish to catch, that's a huge miss out to me."

Dustin Heathman has been out of town for work ever since viewers pointed KXAN News to his posts on the fishing forum. We have been trying to reach him for about a month, but he never returned calls or Facebook messages.

I'm surprised anyone keeps anything these days. When i think about all the pressure the fisheries are under, the state of the environment in general and in particular our waterways, i figure these fish are having a hard enough time. If i'm hungry, i just go to a grocery store which is always stocked with the calories i need to survive.

Now, if i lived somewhere remote and i needed to catch and eat for my survival, then yeah-i would keep and eat.

As it stands now, it makes no sense for me.

WOW frodo your second post on the forum and you trash a great many members of this forum by saying "it makes no sense for me" about keeping fish legally caught & kept.

A large majority of members will keep some fish for the table (generally better table fair than store bought fish) and as long as they abide by the laws there is no problem and should not be criticized for it by saying their legal practices make no sense.

The oridginal post deals with illegal activity and should be condemned and never compared to legal practices.

If you wish to release your catch that's fine, as it's legal but don't belittle those of us who do otherwise also quite legally.

Edited by Woodsman

I think the truly amazing part of this story is that this person was first; stupid enough to post the fact he was breaking the law and secondly; that he thought it was OK because he wanted a fish fry for his family.

Either too much time in the Texas sun or too much mercury in his system from eating all those fish.

WOW frodo your second post on the forum and you trash a great many members of this forum by saying "it makes no sense for me" about keeping fish legally caught & kept.

A large majority of members will keep some fish for the table (generally better table fair than store bought fish) and as long as they abide by the laws there is no problem and should not be criticized for it by saying their legal practices make no sense.

The oridginal post deals with illegal activity and should be condemned and never compared to legal practices.

If you wish to release your catch that's fine, as it's legal but don't belittle those of us who do otherwise also quite legally.

Wow?

Why do you take offence to my not keeping fish for myself? I don't care if you keep fish or not as that's a decision you have to make for yourself.

If you want to eat the fish you catch, go ahead.

It's not really necessary or relevant to go on a heater over people keeping fish they've legally caught. That's a leap in logic you took and wasn't in my reply. I share a boat with friends who keep and eat the fish they catch all the time. I take no offence when they do, but secretly, i do enjoy when they are getting skunked and they ask for one of mine and i smile and live release!

Got to earn those calories!

frodo obviously you can't read as I stated & you quoted, I have no problem and take no offense with you releasing the fish you catch as this is completely legal & your choice.

It was you who ridiculed those who choose to keep there legal catch.

frodo obviously you can't read as I stated & you quoted, I have no problem and take no offense with you releasing the fish you catch as this is completely legal & your choice.

It was you who ridiculed those who choose to keep there legal catch.

Actually, i have a sizeable university debt that can confirm that i do know how to read but thanks for the welcome just the same!

I'm really sorry that your whole way of life was threatened by my saying it didn't make sense to keep fish to eat when other food abounds in great abundance...

I have been reading this forum for years and joined a few months back. Lots of helpful tips and stories to be read and to apply to my time on the water.

Enjoy your time on the water Woodsman. I know i will.

I have been reading this forum for years

Then you should know what type of comments some people here consider offensive. Whether or not YOU think they are offensive.

back to the OP. Yikes.. 600 replies of guys flaming this kid. Mods on that forum really let things slide eh :whistling:

Edited by N.A.W

A polite exchange of words and ideas. Nothing wrong with that.clapping.gif Great read!!!

:rofl2:

Your a funny guy Merman.. I'm assuming you are talking about the post on the Austin forum. I read some of the replies in the later stages of the post. Polite :rofl2: :rofl2: Ya.. Very polite in deed :rofl2:

Edited by N.A.W

WOW frodo your second post on the forum and you trash a great many members of this forum by saying "it makes no sense for me"

I believe frodo explained it in those 6 words. "it makes no sense FOR HIM" please don't read things into what people are actually trying to say out of context.

he didn't ridicule anyone for keeping their catch, it was you who postulated that he was.

what is it you don't get? BTW great way to welcome a newbie to the forum.

frodo here's to hoping you stick around, you know what it's like on forums...whistling.gif

rofl2.gif

Your a funny guy Merman.. I'm assuming you are talking about the post on the Austin forum. I read some of the replies in the later stages of the post. Polite rofl2.gifrofl2.gif Ya.. Very polite in deed rofl2.gif

No....that was shameful and under moderated.wallbash.gif

I was just commending Frodo and Woodsman for keeping the disagreement polite and respectful so far.

Welcome to the group Mr Frodo.good.gif

No....that was shameful and under moderated.wallbash.gif

I was just commending Frodo and Woodsman for keeping the disagreement polite and respectful so far.

My bad. :( I was so wrapped up in the that Austin forum post, I made an assumption that you where talking about the same thing. Those boys are cut throat.

I believe frodo explained it in those 6 words. "it makes no sense FOR HIM" please don't read things into what people are actually trying to say out of context.

he didn't ridicule anyone for keeping their catch, it was you who postulated that he was.

what is it you don't get? BTW great way to welcome a newbie to the forum.

frodo here's to hoping you stick around, you know what it's like on forums...whistling.gif

agreed. no need to get you panties in a bunch ppl. are you so offended that Frodo doesnt keep fish ? gimme a break. i am 99% catch n release as well. i do enjoy eating fish , but watching them swim away is great as well. there are many many lakes that have been depleted of fish due to " legal harvest" just because you can keep 5 per day or 50 , whatever the case is, doesnt mean you have to. some people dont understand the concept of release.

i see nothing at all wrong with eating fish, but in moderation.... some anglers cant see the balance.

My bad. sad.gif I was so wrapped up in the that Austin forum post, I made an assumption that you where talking about the same thing. Those boys are cut throat.

Some forums allow that type of conversationdunno.gif Glad this one doesn't. Don't mess with the Bass in Texas !!!!w00t.gif

Actually, i have a sizeable university debt that can confirm that i do know how to read but thanks for the welcome just the same!

I'm really sorry that your whole way of life was threatened by my saying it didn't make sense to keep fish to eat when other food abounds in great abundance...

I have been reading this forum for years and joined a few months back. Lots of helpful tips and stories to be read and to apply to my time on the water.

Enjoy your time on the water Woodsman. I know i will.

Welcome to the community frodo!

I have been through college (3 years), BSc (4 years), and a MSc (2 years). I can tell you without a shadow of reservation, having university debt does not, in the slightest, confirm that you know how to read. I have met a vast number of people in university who can not read above a high school competency, let alone comprehend what they are reading and critically analyze it. A university degree not debt, might confirm you can read at a higher level than say high school, but it is just a piece of paper.

Knowledge is gained through experience and critical thought.

It's easier to get to know people and form new relationships when you don't immediately criticize their right to harvest when it is within their right to do so. It would be more constructive and logical to comment on the laws currently in place.

Just my two cents.

*edit* missed a word

Edited by GreenCanada

frodo if you expect to survive here you need few things

A thick skin

the ability to know when to hold em, now when to fold em, now when to walk away and now when to run....

And remember this it's better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt :jerry: :jerry: :jerry::sarcasm:

Enjoy the ride :thumbsup_anim:

no need to get you panties in a bunch ppl. are you so offended that Frodo doesnt keep fish ? gimme a break.

Bladeburner where did I in any manner say I was offended that frodo doesn't keep fish. Please show me.

I never said that. I really don't care weather he or anyone keeps or releases their fish as long as they act within the law. Just please don't put words in my mouth.

What I took offense to is when someone criticizes my right to keep fish legally taken if I so choose. When someone states it makes no sense to me it basically says that if you don't think like me than your opinion also makes no sense.

Welcome to the community frodo!

I have been through college (3 years), BSc (4 years), and a MSc (2 years). I can tell you without a shadow of reservation, having university debt does not, in the slightest, confirm that you know how to read. I have met a vast number of people in university who can not read above a high school competency, let alone comprehend what they are reading and critically analyze it. A university degree not debt, might confirm you can read at a higher level than say high school, but it is just a piece of paper.

Knowledge is gained through experience and critical thought.

It's easier to get to know people and form new relationships when you don't immediately criticize their right to harvest when it is within their right to do so. It would be more constructive and logical to comment on the laws currently in place.

Just my two cents.

*edit* missed a word

Well said. Also does anyone have the link to this forum?