Once in a lifetime thing that you've seen in the outdoors??

danc

A few years ago while I was tree planting up around the Hearst region... There was four of us, walking an old bush road to get to our pieces (land that needs planting). Initially, we were supposed to have a drive to this washout that was far too deep for the truck to pass... but we had walked past the washout before any sign of any truck. Just about 5 minutes walk from the washout, we spotted a moose... about 10 yards away. At first we thought "darn' cool man!", then it started grunting and splashing, since both sides of the road was standing, stagnant water. As she was splashing and grunting, a little calf splashed out from the bullrushes and stood beside its mother. At this point, I looked over at my buddies and said "Let's get back to the washout...". As were walking away, I kept peering back over my shoulder at the moose and it continued to stand there staring at us. Just as we got to the washout, the truck shows up... What a lazy bugger that guy was. The guy was the camp boss, and decided to get a picture of us and moose... which worked out great because the moose started to run across the road and was captured in between us (in the distance of course). Sadly, the bastardly camp boss never gave us a copy of that picture...

Fishing with a buddy in the Keewenaw Peninsula in MI's Upper Peninsula and suddenly we both saw 2 fighter jets flying just over the tops of the trees. They flew down to lake level and then up over the trees on the other side of the lake. Then we heard the sonic booms. This was 35+ years ago, no cell phones and no radio. We were sure it was the end of the world and hustled back home. Never heard a word about it just some military exercise.

September 2009, pre-season scouting for deer. We spotted a deer in a meadow, in tall grass, upwind from our position. My son and I crept along, every time the deer raised it's head, we would freeze. Eventually we positioned behind a tree clump and were able to walk closer. Finally, peering out from the trees, we were about 30 yds from a beautiful 8pt buck. We crept around the tree clump, and eventually were 15yds from the deer. The next time it raised it's head, it spotted us. We slowly sunk to our knees in the tall grass, and the buck snorted, then stomped it's front feet, and... headed straight toward us!! We slunk lower in the grass, and eventually it was about 5ft from us, still stomping, but standing still. We could count the whiskers around it's nose and hear it breathing. I was wondering what it's next move would be, and actually I was getting a bit worried that it might stomp us, so I stood up and yelled... HELLO!! It took off running, but only ran about 40 yds, then stood broadside to us, staring.

Then 2010, also September, checking the trail camera, while on the ATV, I noticed a young button buck under an oak tree. The oak tree was about 4ft diameter. I stopped the ATV but left it running to mask any noise I might make, with the tree between the ATV and the buck. I got off the ATV and walked slowly to the tree. Didn't hear it run, so I knew it was on the other side of the trunk. I slowly positioned around the trunk and was 3 ft from the button buck eating acorns. Suddenly, it got curious, and started walking around the tree. I circled and positioned on the opposite side of the trunk. And there it came, oblivious to me, and walked literally 3 feet from me, all the while staring at the ATV. It's tail was straight in the air, it was slowly high stepping toward the ATV. As it's tail passed by me, I reached out in an attempt to grab a handful of bucktail hair, but I couldn't quite reach it. Finally it winded my and took off flagging.

Both were awesome experiences. I doubt if either deer survived the hunt! We never saw either deer again.

When I was a kid i went with my uncle up to Elk Lake for a week. I caught a toad one evening and when I was looking at it I noticed something. I turned it over and I saw a light flashing. It had just eaten a big firefly and it was still flashing away inside the toads stomach.

When I was a kid i went with my uncle up to Elk Lake for a week. I caught a toad one evening and when I was looking at it I noticed something. I turned it over and I saw a light flashing. It had just eaten a big firefly and it was still flashing away inside the toads stomach.

Too funny. That's a cool story for sure.

I work for Toronto and Region Conservation Authority and have for 20 years. One of the first years I was here we were doing some bank restoration down behind the office near Jane and Finch (York University/Black Creek Pioneer Village area). We were taking a break and just chatting with the three other students on the crew when down the riverbank comes this mink. I get everyone quiet and the mink keeps coming, running right over my hand like nothing out of the ordinary was there.

Wow. That is amazing. :thumbsup_anim:

When I was a kid i went with my uncle up to Elk Lake for a week. I caught a toad one evening

LOL was wondering where you were going with the story at this point ^ haha but that'd be pretty neat, a jumping glowstick

The only thing I can think of was one time I was gar fishing with Aaron Shirley and we fished a bay that had a clay bottom, so it was murky, but the gar were everywhere. Well, one managed to run into the back of my leg, and left a nice mark on my ankle for a week and a half (must have scraped my ankle turning). Had a camera on me too because we were filming a show, I'm sure some of you who have been here for a while may remember it when Aaron posted the episode:

38472_128893797152323_1000009511129.jpg

Edited by Garfisher