Grubbin' on the Grand

Mike Pike

Packed my fishin’ vest with an assortment of grubs and jigs yesterday morning, and headed out to Brant County with my niece’s husband, Steven.

We arrived just before sun up and carefully made our way into the river. The idea was to pitch our jigs and burn ‘em back near the surface avoiding the rocks and thick weeds in the river.

My first cast, I had a fish on that humbled me by spitting the hook. Unfortunately, this was to be my pattern for most of the morning.

Steven, meanwhile, made his hook-set count and got on the board early with a fish.

Steven1fish1.jpg

Followed by another, very quickly afterwards.

Steven3fish2.jpg

In fact, Steven probably had six fish before I was able to catch my first.

Mike1.jpg

It was a great morning with good numbers. Steven’s tally was 15, while yours truly nabbed about half that.

And I thought I was gonna be the one teachng him a thing or two about catching fish. lol

Steven4.jpg

The grand river smallies are some of the strongest bass around , great fun to catch! Thanks for the nice report :)

Agreed! thumbsup_anim.gif

Great stuff, but how were you wearing a sweatshirt yesterday? :o

I wondered the same thing...... dunno.gif

Really, well drop in any time Mike I can help you add insulation/bulk. :)

Thanks Spiel. That is darn nice of ya!

And I agree with everyone who posted about the fighting qualities of river Smallmouth. The fish themsleves are lean and tough. Then you add their jumping ability, current, etc., and you've got a fight on your hands, from even the smaller fish. Pound for pound...

Edited by Mike Pike

...... The fish themsleves are lean and tough. Then you add their jumping ability, current, etc., and you've got a fight on your hands, from even the smaller fish. Pound for pound...

I couldn't agree more :thumbsup_anim: Smallies are fun to catch B) Big or small... you get your money's worth :thumbsup_anim:

Great report Mike Pike!!!

Thanks for sharing

TJunkie